Extending Heating Vent - How To Start New Branch? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-14-2005, 11:31 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Extending heating vent - How to start new branch?

Hi Everyone,

I'm building an extension on my house and need to extend the heating duct as well. I have pretty good access to a rectagular duct and would like to tap into it with a 6" duct. I realize there are the nice starter rings to start the branch, but the question is:

What are the methods for cutting a 6" hole in the side of a rectangular duct?

Thanks!

MikeinBurien

Advertisement

MikeinBurien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 01:07 PM   #2
Remodeler

Rewards Points: 250

Tin snips work fine. Drill a hole to get started. You need to cut counter clockwise with the curve snips. The metal is very sharp wear gloves.

Advertisement

One Man Shops
MinConst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 07:17 PM   #3

Hi Minchillo - I'll plan on giving that a shot and hope I don't mess up my rectangular duct.

Regarding the need to go counterclockwise, is that because the snips would be in my right hand and it's easier to go in the direction? What type of snips should I used? As I recall, they come in left, right and straight, but unsure.

MikeinBurien
Old 12-14-2005, 10:40 PM   #4
Remodeler

Rewards Points: 250

I'm not sure if snips come in left but right and straight are what I use. They are built to cut counter clockwise. You can go against the direction but it is a bit harder to control. One good thing about duct work is that if you mess it up you can patch it. Just trace the 6" duck onto the main and cut on the line. If you don't think you can cut it ten hire the job out. You will be further ahead. It is not a terribly hard thing to do. Attaching the new piece is trickier than the cut. You can make 1/2" -3/4" cuts about 1/2 apart around the new piece, bend every other tab out 90 degrees and insert the new piece in the hole you cut. Then bend the tabs that went into the hole over against the main duck and your all set. You can also use some screws on the outer tabs.
One Man Shops
MinConst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 11:47 PM   #5

Awesome! I did some looking around at snips and they do come in left, right and straight. I suspect, like you, that the right snip is the one to use for righties. I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

Regarding the new 6" duct that enters the rectangular duct, I did find these pretty nice "starter rings" at Home Depot. they already have the tabs built into the ring and it appears that all you have to do is insert the ring and start bending tabs back. Then as you noted, just screw it to the existing duct with small sheet metal screws.

Old 01-07-2006, 12:25 PM   #6
weinstall.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinBurien
Awesome! I did some looking around at snips and they do come in left, right and straight. I suspect, like you, that the right snip is the one to use for righties. I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

Regarding the new 6" duct that enters the rectangular duct, I did find these pretty nice "starter rings" at Home Depot. they already have the tabs built into the ring and it appears that all you have to do is insert the ring and start bending tabs back. Then as you noted, just screw it to the existing duct with small sheet metal screws.

Thats called a dove tail
no need to buy them just take a piece od 6 inch pipe 6 in. long and the cut 1 in. apart 1 in in this is the cheapest way.
Also red snips aka right snips actually cut to the left not to the right

Allan

Clarkson Comfort Zone Heating and Air Mississauga Ontario
weinstall.ca

Advertisement

allan is offline   Reply With Quote