Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-16-2004, 07:26 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

extending ducts

I recently built an addition and have extended the existing duct work to master bthrm and nst bdrm. New room's are not as warm as the rest of the house. Is this because the existing furnace is not adequate or am I just ducting wrong?

maintenance is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to maintenance For This Useful Post:
erikadawn7 (07-04-2011)
Old 11-16-2004, 10:15 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

extending ducts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maintenance
I recently built an addition and have extended the existing duct work to master bthrm and nst bdrm. New room's are not as warm as the rest of the house. Is this because the existing furnace is not adequate or am I just ducting wrong?

When you extended the duct, did you extend the main trunk or an existing duct that was set up for another room. You can't share duct from room to room. You should run it off the main. Is there enough intake. It's possible the furnace isn't big enough to handle all what you want to run. You have to figure out how big your furnace is, actually how many tons, to the size of your complete home after the addition. Then you can figure out if it is large enough to handle the size of you home.

Hammertime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hammertime For This Useful Post:
erikadawn7 (07-04-2011)
Old 11-18-2004, 01:33 AM   #3

extending ducts

See, instead of a professional job that works properly, they go off half cocked not having a clue and then wonder why it doesn't work. Flip through your phone book to the A section and look for air conditioning. There you will find a plethera of contractors waiting to make your system work properly.
Old 11-18-2004, 05:53 AM   #4

extending ducts

Thanks Hammertime. I did find the problem. There was a baffle that was installed in the old system and thru the course of the remodeling process, it got closed.
To "Unregistered"
Not knowing who you are talking to or anything about them and calling them a Hack is uncalled for. This chat room is for info. and assistance.
Have a good day.
Old 11-20-2004, 09:19 PM   #5

extending ducts

is STILL a Hack!!!
Old 11-20-2004, 11:04 PM   #6
Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

extending ducts

Unregistered, Labeling helps no one. Flaming will lead to restrictions on this site such as having to register to post. 'maintenance' took the time to reg. to ask, you could do likewise to answer.
Many of us come here from ContractorTalk to help the DIYer's, most there are licensed contractors. Perhaps a visit there would give you an idea of the tone of both sites. There are links to others as well, all informative.
Teetorbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 10:38 AM   #7

extending ducts

if only a couple of new runs were installed, you will need to "balance the air flow so as to deliver more air to the new registers. You need to slightly throttle down the old ones, thus giving the new ones some added air.
its best to adjust all the runs via the takeoff dampers and NOT at the registers.
Also do you have adequate Return air for these extra supply runs. You need return in order to get the supply volume. Hube
Hube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:06 PM   #8

extending ducts

I'd love a recommendation to an honest, legitamite contractor who prices reasonably... am looking to extend ductwork in my house. Thanks.

erikadawn7 is offline   Reply With Quote