Expensive Air Filters!!!ho........... - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-04-2013, 10:21 AM   #1
bsa_bob

Rewards Points: 150
Question

Expensive air filters!!!ho...........

How often should i change these 4" 21x 23 or close..filters .they are pricey to say the least [$24.00] around here, my wife thinks every 6 monnths?Shes usually wrong,on this stuff. so asking you here?I blow them out with my compressor fairly regular....they don't eveer have much dust in them. Have you a better idea i am listening intently thanks much for reading this thread bob s

Advertisement

bsa_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:34 AM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 872

blowing them out is not a good idea. same as blowing out the expensive air filter for your car engine. my method is to hold them up to a light bulb. if you can see thru it reasonably well then keep using it. there is no scientific method to tell anyone when to changer a filter as everyones house and amount of dirt is different. once a month for some people and once every six months for others. depends on the house/pets etc. if you take a high end filter and brush or blow it out it can make tiny holes and a merv 16 filter will become a merv 10 from the tiny holes you created. we are talking micron sized holes, not something you can see but those filters when undamaged can take out micron size particles if that is important 2 U. money is more important to others so to get it to work to its rating just use it until it looks dirty IMO.

do you own a BSA motorcycle? those were cool along with the old Triumphs.

Advertisement

Last edited by yuri; 03-04-2013 at 11:36 AM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:38 AM   #3
how

Rewards Points: 624

You'll get a lot of opinions here about that.
It depends on how much particulate is generated or created in your home.
(the drier the enviorment the more thats created, carpets, drapes etc. as well as pet, kid activity.)
What level of dust screening you are looking for. (medical sensitivities to dust..Lung conditions)
The measured temp rise on your furnace. (Get a thermometer and learn how to test your furnace's temp rise to make sure that your filter decisions are not hurting your furnace.

And Yuri
how did a BSA get into this thread?
BSA lightning was my first followed by a Triumph tiger.

OK, his handle..I see it now.

Last edited by how; 03-04-2013 at 11:43 AM.
how is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:11 PM   #4
bsa_bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
blowing them out is not a good idea. same as blowing out the expensive air filter for your car engine. my method is to hold them up to a light bulb. if you can see thru it reasonably well then keep using it. there is no scientific method to tell anyone when to changer a filter as everyones house and amount of dirt is different. once a month for some people and once every six months for others. depends on the house/pets etc. if you take a high end filter and brush or blow it out it can make tiny holes and a merv 16 filter will become a merv 10 from the tiny holes you created. we are talking micron sized holes, not something you can see but those filters when undamaged can take out micron size particles if that is important 2 U. money is more important to others so to get it to work to its rating just use it until it looks dirty IMO.

do you own a BSA motorcycle? those were cool along with the old Triumphs.
thanks All i restored some of these britbikes. i Have several street rods and kustoms and cushmans.I sold the bsa to fellow who came from brittan and piicked it up at my shop in michgan
about two years before i restored a70 bonneville.which i sold to a jeweler in bangkok. i really liked riding these bikes...so after i tore up my right foot and knee . i bought a 2004 basket case america w/electric start .That is great bike no matter what anyone says. So i still have that bike............I am lookin forward to spring now and I have A 2003 shadow which rides great too.

Last edited by bsa_bob; 03-04-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:15 PM   #5
bsa_bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by how View Post
You'll get a lot of opinions here about that.
It depends on how much particulate is generated or created in your home.
(the drier the enviorment the more thats created, carpets, drapes etc. as well as pet, kid activity.)
What level of dust screening you are looking for. (medical sensitivities to dust..Lung conditions)
The measured temp rise on your furnace. (Get a thermometer and learn how to test your furnace's temp rise to make sure that your filter decisions are not hurting your furnace.

And Yuri
how did a BSA get into this thread?
BSA lightning was my first followed by a Triumph tiger.

OK, his handle..I see it now.
this was al installed by heating contrctor 18 years ago Would a heating contractor know how to do this furnace temp test. it seems like they knew what they were doing when installation was done, i will quit blowing out the filter though, i am Damaging it with 100 psi . wow i didn't realize this. bob s
Old 03-04-2013, 05:14 PM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,724

How often varies with each house. Every 6 to 12 months.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:44 PM   #7
Part of the Clover Leaf

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
How often varies with each house. Every 6 to 12 months.
Now wouldn't it be great if communicating stats warned of limit trips?

Folks might actually pay attention to that one instead of ignoring it like they do the filter change message.
hvac5646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:51 PM   #8
An old Tradesmen

The Infinity warns of high static, and tells them to change the filter.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:02 PM   #9
how

Rewards Points: 624

A Temp rise test is just punching a small hole 5' downstream in your hot air plenum to put a thermometer in. (Out of a direct sight line of the exchanger). You might already have that hole there that's probably covered with tape. Turn up the heat for 10 minutes and then record the temp reading. Subtracting the return air temp(use the current house temp..70F) from the hot air plenum measurement will give you the temp rise.
The recommended temp rise range will be written on the info plate inside the furnace. Your calculated temp rise measurement should fall within the listed temp range.
how is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:44 PM   #10
Part of the Clover Leaf

Quote:
The Infinity warns of high static, and tells them to change the filter.
High static warning does not account for all possible causes.

I am referring to a warning that actually says "over heat" because of an actual limit trip.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:51 PM   #11
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvac5646 View Post
High static warning does not account for all possible causes.

I am referring to a warning that actually says "over heat" because of an actual limit trip.
The infinity does a static check every day. When you install a new filter it checks static that day, and tracks its. So you should never get an over heat.

Warning people after an over heat, is waiting a bit too long to tell them something is wrong.

A communicating stat that warns them before is better.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:41 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,696

My unit doesn't have all that fancy stuff so I check my filters with a home made water manometer. If I get a half inch WC more than when the filters were new I replace them. I have no idea whether right or wrong according to manufacturing specs but it has ran longer than I can count fingers and toes and that's kinda higher math for me.
SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:45 PM   #13
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairview View Post
My unit doesn't have all that fancy stuff so I check my filters with a home made water manometer. If I get a half inch WC more than when the filters were new I replace them. I have no idea whether right or wrong according to manufacturing specs but it has ran longer than I can count fingers and toes and that's kinda higher math for me.
ROFL. If it works, use it.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:56 PM   #14
Part of the Clover Leaf

Quote:
The infinity does a static check every day. When you install a new filter it checks static that day, and tracks its. So you should never get an over heat.

Warning people after an over heat, is waiting a bit too long to tell them something is wrong.

A communicating stat that warns them before is better.
You did not understand my post because you are missing the point of what I am saying.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:08 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairview View Post

checking static pressure is the best way to see if the filters are

a) flow restrictive from the start (write the reading down no filter and filter compare!!!)
b) dirty.. compare to new (and yes .5 should work as an idicator, but others will chime in on the trades overall view of what dirty is!!)

ebay has cheap used mamometers

Advertisement

bobinphx is offline   Reply With Quote