Existing Fixture With New Bathroom Fan? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-12-2011, 10:29 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Existing Fixture with new Bathroom Fan?

I have a bathroom fan + decorative lighting fixture combo. However, the fan isn't pushing enough air. Consequently, I'm planning on upgrading the fan, however the decorative light fixture is quite nice. Is it possible to get a new fan but reuse the light fixture?

If so, would it be more advantageous for the new fan to have lighting on it or not?

Fans like the Panasonic Whisper Ceiling FV-08VQL2 advertise a light kit, but I don't understand if that means that it comes with a light fixture that I can not change or if I can simply replace the light fixture with a my current fixture by drilling a couple holes.

Thanks.

Advertisement

rootxploit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:50 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

How large is the space? Is the duct work from the current vent fan, properly ran out of the house? As for the replacing the fan, check with the manufacturer, you may be able to get a larger cfm fan, but it would be louder.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:56 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

The space is about 8x10, with about an 8 foot ceiling.

The ductwork is a flexible duct, like used for venting the dryer. It runs up into the attic where is joins the other bathroom's flexible duct and points at (is about 1 foot short of) the opening at the top of the house to vent.

I'm planning to get the ductwork extended a foot to properly reach the roof vent.

My concern that it isn't venting effectively is because the ceiling in the bathroom is getting brown spots on it(probably not mold yet).
rootxploit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:08 PM   #4
REP

Rewards Points: 500

One,you need 100 cfm fan for the 8x10 room.Panasonic makes great fans just be sure to get the Energy Star model.
Two,what prevents the air from one bathroom going into the other bathroom if they are connected???
Some people are in love with just one termination for two fans.I think they are just lazy or dumb because to protect one room from the other room you need more stuff.I like to keep things simple.
REP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bathroom ceiling fan , duct , lighting