Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-23-2013, 10:15 PM   #1

Share |

Exhaust monitor

I live in a large building with two exhaust fans for over 100 apartments, if the super is correct. The fan for my line has been out for months. I'm the only person in the building who complains about it. I want to fill out a suggestion box memo that management and the board of directors will see, but I'm not sure if I should suggest that a schedule be made for checking the fan or that a monitoring device be installed. Is there an appropriate off-the-shelf monitoring device? The fan is normally on from 6:00 AM to 11:00 PM. I guess it's automatic, but I'm not sure. I'm picturing something with a panel that could be mounted in a hard-to-miss area that lights up when the fan has drawn no power for 8 hours. A movement sensor may work too but I don't want to suggest something too unusual. Suggestions?

Dorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:47 AM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Exhaust monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorado View Post
I live in a large building with two exhaust fans for over 100 apartments, if the super is correct. The fan for my line has been out for months. I'm the only person in the building who complains about it. I want to fill out a suggestion box memo that management and the board of directors will see, but I'm not sure if I should suggest that a schedule be made for checking the fan or that a monitoring device be installed. Is there an appropriate off-the-shelf monitoring device? The fan is normally on from 6:00 AM to 11:00 PM. I guess it's automatic, but I'm not sure. I'm picturing something with a panel that could be mounted in a hard-to-miss area that lights up when the fan has drawn no power for 8 hours. A movement sensor may work too but I don't want to suggest something too unusual. Suggestions?
Ayuh,.... Don't sound like a monitor is needed,...

They already Know yer fan ain't workin'....

Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:00 AM   #3

Exhaust monitor

simple sail switch to pick up the air,or even a air pressure switch mlike the one on a induced draft furnace... tube into the duct adjust it to make the duct pressure with a 24V light in series when running
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:02 AM   #4

Exhaust monitor

Management doesn't know it hasn't been fixed since I told them about it last month, but they'll know tomorrow. If I'm going to be the exhaust monitor, I want to be paid. I'll look up sail switches and air pressure switches.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:09 AM   #5
bbo

Exhaust monitor

no cost (well tiny cost) you could tape a small piece of fabric or paper near the intake.
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:04 AM   #6
Hvac Pro

Exhaust monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorado View Post
Management doesn't know it hasn't been fixed since I told them about it last month, but they'll know tomorrow. If I'm going to be the exhaust monitor, I want to be paid. I'll look up sail switches and air pressure switches.
like everything else U do in this world ya got to be careful of liability when hooking up some homemade monitoring system (unless it is in your own house and even then problems could occur). would need a 120 to 24 volt transformer and proper wiring inspected by a inspector with permit taken out etc. not as easy as it sounds. because it is someone else's property I would not do it and I know how to safely.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:30 AM   #7
An old Tradesmen

Exhaust monitor

Once you touch the buildings equipment. They can make you any for any repairs it needs. Specially if a sail comes off and gets into the fan wheel.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:33 AM   #8

Exhaust monitor

I don't mean I'd do it and be the monitor. I mean I'm currently the monitor because I hear when the vent's not working and I report it. I don't want that responsibility any more. I'm trying to get the board of directors to approve a monitor that's installed by someone licensed.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:50 AM   #9

Exhaust monitor

I guess I'll suggest something like "hire an HVAC contractor to install a sail switch that controls a light so the super and/or management will see when the exhaust isn't working." Would there be a situation where the HVAC guy says to hire an electrician and the electrician says to hire an HVAC guy? Are both needed?
Old 03-24-2013, 11:51 AM   #10
An old Tradesmen

Exhaust monitor

In one or 2 states, both would be needed.