Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-06-2013, 10:34 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 312

Exhaust of furnace and hot water heater

My chimney is crumbling so rather than fix it I would like to tear it down. Can I just exhaust my existing furnace and hot water heater out through the wall through PVC pipe? This is how I have seen it done with other houses.

crescere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:49 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 558

It depends upon your appliances. If they aren't vented in PVC now, probably not.

Post your model numbers and hopefully one the HVAC pros will chime in.

djlandkpl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:40 PM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 3,600

If they are currently vented through metal pipe into a chimney, no you can vent them with PVC. You can side wall vent them. But you will need a power ventor, have to connect them with metal pipe, and will need a multi appliance control for the power venter.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:13 PM   #4
Experienced HVAC Tech

Rewards Points: 250

the reason others are vented in pvc is because the equipment is more efficient therefore have a cooler flue product with condensing water in it. if it is metal it must remain metal, same with plastic or PVC
HVAC1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:07 PM   #5

Ok, thanks. Please tell me the absolute cheapest way to fix this. It could cost $1200 to fix the chimney, and even that is not guaranteed to last.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:25 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,336

Around here, it is the same to tear down, as it is to rebuild the chimney & install a new liner. I am having ours torn down below the roof by my roofing guy for $600, since the only thing that has used it in the past seven years since we got our 95% furnace, is just the Water Heater, and now it is getting to the point that the tuck pointing is just gone.

So cheaper to tear down, and then install a direct vent water heater, since we already have a high efficient furnace installed.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:51 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 546

I don't know much about this, but I was told....

Induced draft water heaters cost three times as much as natural draft, and don't last as long. If you can fix the chimney, that will be cheaper in the long run.

You say your rebuilt chimney might not last. Why is that?
Toller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:26 AM   #8
An old Tradesmen

Depending on the size power ventor you need, plus the controls for 2 appliances, 450 to 600 for them, plus the flue pipe cost.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:33 AM   #9
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toller View Post
I don't know much about this, but I was told....

Induced draft water heaters cost three times as much as natural draft, and don't last as long. If you can fix the chimney, that will be cheaper in the long run.

It depends on what units you cost, is what decides how long they will last, and how much they will cost initially. The costs are in the power vent & ignitor setup, other than that it is just the same as a regular draft unit.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 03-07-2013, 11:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toller View Post

I have not asked about rebuilding. It has been suggested that the crumbling chimney be “plastered over”, but that will fix it for a few years. This is a rental property and I do not want to spend much. I do not care about appearance.

What about running up a new cheaper meatal chimney through the house and out the roof?
Old 03-07-2013, 12:59 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,000

Yes you can run B vent out the roof. I would tear the crumbling chimney down then run the new vent through a chase where the chimney was.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:54 PM   #12

It is an 80% Comfort Aire furnace that has a metal pipe running to the chimney. What would be the danger of simply running the pipe out the wall and not using a chimney?
Old 03-17-2013, 04:41 PM   #13
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescere View Post
It is an 80% Comfort Aire furnace that has a metal pipe running to the chimney. What would be the danger of simply running the pipe out the wall and not using a chimney?
Someone could get burnt from touching the vent pipe, would need to be B-Vent piping, and high enough if you are in an area that gets deep snow drifts, and also high enough to not be pulled into windows.

I just picked up a Richmond Power Vent 50 gal @ our local Menard's Hardware store for $848. Then down comes the chimney and the hole on the roof will be patched. Never will tell it was there in the end.

Plus side is, I am getting a $50 rebate on the new Water heater, so it just paid for majority of the sales taxes on the new WH.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:59 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,000

Biggest danger is it might not vent. You would still need the power vent and interlocking controls that beenthere mentioned earlier.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:12 PM   #15
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescere View Post
It would need a power ventor installed at the wall, and B vent ran from the furnace to the power ventor. Along with clearance above normal snow fall accumulation level.