Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-01-2009, 10:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

Exhaust for Cooktop

I just recently purchased a brand new home. The exhaust system for the cooktop has air leaking in from the outside. You can feel the draft coming down the exhaust. Is this normal? If not, how can it be repaired? Are the dampers for the exhaust, which are on the roof, suppose to close completely and seal the system, therefore no air should come down the exhaust?
Thanks

Mcrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 06:58 AM   #2

Exhaust for Cooktop

Many builders will use a basic vent and it's not uncommon for the damper/door to stick and bind. Try having a look at it up close. I had this problem in my kitchen and located an extremely well built metal exhaust vent with a weighted damper and a well designed design... Try Lowes or HD, etc. It has a bolt and washer through the damper and a felt seal at the closure so it works great however mine exhausts horizontally. I bought a second one for the dryer as well and now the clothes are always warm as is the laundry area. Your snag is likely a sticking damper door so check for that.
You may not have enough CFM in the exhaust to open the weighted damper style I have if it is installed on the pitch of the roof. There are also dampers out there with a slight offset more than 90 degrees. I think they are built for this type of installation. To maximise your cfm to rooftop also check for a tight seal at your hood. Use foil duct tape to seal the exhaust air at the hood.

Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 06:15 PM   #3

Exhaust for Cooktop

Thanks for the information. I will try all your suggestions
Mcrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 06:51 AM   #4

Exhaust for Cooktop

Meant to say well designed hinge... not well designed design. If you go through the effort to replace yours, look at the hinge as well as the damper's closure and seal if any for long term durability.
Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote