Excess Gas Pressure - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-29-2012, 06:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 526

excess gas pressure

had good pro out to look at Lennox hi eff. 92% about 15 year old smallest they made at time , furnace. It has probably been used 10 of those years. pro says it has froze, which it has,,,,have to rip it out and replace it, cant fix it.

MAIN problem is excess gas pressure. "Before the gas valve about 7 water column inches,,,after gas valve it reads 5.9 on his digital meter. Says its adjusted all the way down. He even took the spring completely out and it didnt even change after pressure at all. What would cause valve to not regulate pressure? If its stuck or bad would it not be cheaper to replace gas valve than whole furnace???

When it turns on for first time after being off for awhile it sounds like 2 bricks being slammed together,,,,very loudly. Is my ONLY option complete furnace replacement? tech said furnace reliability is questionable

Advertisement

4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:24 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

excess gas pressure

Is it a G21? If so I'd put a gas valve in it if the heat exchanger passed pressure testing. Might take a new air diaphram to get over the rough ignition but that's a cheap part,think we charge $9 for one .

Advertisement

Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:10 AM   #3
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 882

excess gas pressure

is it a G21 pulse? there are parts in Pulse furnaces that are going obsolete but the valve is replaceable. heat exchanger needs pressure testing. that high pressure and banging can damage it and the gas and air flappers and mufflers so beware it can turn into a expensive repair $$ pit.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:51 AM   #4

excess gas pressure

dont know,,,its not here,,,I will look today when I get there
Old 02-29-2012, 05:07 PM   #5

excess gas pressure

says Elite series on outside. Inside it said"M/N G2602-50-1. S/N 58968 42795 if that matters. It didnt say pulse anywhere so dont think so. What makes it a pulse?? hope that helps decipher, if anything else is needed just ask. Ball park,,,how expensive is a gas valve for this gem.??? Would a new gas valve fix the after water column pressure if thats the right term,,,for sure?? is it a diy or hire the pro???
Old 02-29-2012, 06:19 PM   #6
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 882

excess gas pressure

It is a G26 but the first generation and can be an expensive unit to keep running. Has a blue problematic Johnson control board etc etc. I work on lots of them. The next generation was a lot better. You should get a Pro to change that valve and check the gas pressure and the rest of it for safety. I would lean towards a new furnace if you want reliability. It is repairable but going to be expensive. If it froze up and had water in the drain trap and secondary heat exchanger those may be damaged. Delayed ignition is what you have and the burners need to be cleaned as they are rusty and you will also need a new pilot burner.

Advertisement