Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-29-2011, 02:30 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Even with Humidex still 77% humidity...Help!

I have a Humidex running in my basement workshop to keep the moisture at bay and to save my tools from excessive moisture. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to help alleviate the moisture in our basement entertainment room next door. The relative Humidity is at 77% in this room during the summer months especially when it's raining outside. I also have an HRV by Lifebreathe that exchanges the stale house air with fresh air from the outside. No matter what setting I put them both at I can't seem to find a happy medium. Should I get another Humidex for the entertainment room or buy a dehumidifier? Should I consult a professional? I'm at a loss here. Any suggestions?

Vicarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:54 PM   #2

I only know a little about Humidex, but from what I've read it's not terribly effective. I had to invest in a dehumidifier early this summer. My old house has a damp basement. All the Humidex does is draw air from the other floors of your house down into the basement and out thru a vent...about the same result as pointing a fan at an open window. I know on a hot summer day it's just as muggy upstairs as it is in the basement, so I don't see any benefit. I picked up a 70 pint dehumidifier and set it at 40%, and was emptying the bucket 2x per day until I hooked up a hose to the floor drain. Huge difference down there, no longer damp, dank, or musty anymore. Just my 0.02

Marqed97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:26 PM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Get a whole house ventilating dehumidifier. It will provide your fresh air, and dehumidify your house.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...XVjLkA&cad=rja
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote