Evaporator Is Not Properly Sealed - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-01-2013, 10:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Evaporator is not properly sealed

Our ac evaporator had the two ac lines. One goes and the other goes out. The holes that the a line go through are not properly sealed. So cold or hot air is leaked if the hvac system is running. It does not look like a difficult task to seal the holes. But i dont know how to seal the holes. Like what material i have to use...please if you know help me...

Advertisement

Last edited by blessme; 07-01-2013 at 10:37 PM.
blessme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:49 PM   #2
as seen on tv

Rewards Points: 150

silicone or electricans "thumb gum" or cork tape will work

Advertisement

qbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:36 AM   #3
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,502

If you are talking about where they enter the ductwork for the A-Coil, yes it is normal to have a small gap there, to allow them to move and not rub against the duct, which would create a hole in the lineset.

I just use Aluminum tape around them to close the hole, so that they can still flex a little if there is expansion or contraction. Helps if you post a picture showing how large of a hole you are dealing with.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:46 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

I cant post a picture here. The holes are on the side of evaporator. One hole at the higher position is about 2- 3 centimeters wide and the one at the lower position is about 1 centimeter wide. Ac copper lines go through the holes if the casing to get to the coil inside the casing. Unfortunately these holes were never sealed by the installer. Cold air is leaking out of these holes. So the air is leaking through the space between the casing hole and the ac tube.

Aluminum tape may work for both of the holes?

Last edited by blessme; 07-02-2013 at 09:51 AM.
blessme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:44 AM   #5
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,502

That small of gap does not matter if the unit is in the basement. If it is in your garage or attic, you want every gap sealed.

In a basement if it is being conditioned with vent and supply from the unit, you mainly waint ductwork taped at the joints, to keep the majority of air supply in the ducts.

I really would not worry about that small of gaps around the lineset, where it enters the Plenum for the A-Coil.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote