Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-01-2011, 01:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
Question

Evaporator not cold??

The air passing thru the evaporator coil in my cooler is not cold enough. I checked the evaporator temperature and it is about 55 F.

The pipe after the txv valves do get white.

What could be the problem?

Flooded evaporator?

If it would be short on refrigerant, the evaporator would be icying up, right?

it is not a question of evaporator fan airflow because one side has 5 fans and the other has 3 fans with open hole blocked up and there is no difference between the 2 evaporator coil.

Please help me diagnose my problem

Thanks

nicksab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:26 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Evaporator not cold??

Seems a restriction at txv valve. You can remove bulb and dip it into a mug of hot water/cold. But you need to have gauges hook up to check pressures. Most like to be a power head problem.

**Always kill the power ** Hot air rises, but heat will always move from higher to lower temperatures. ** Real man shoot in manual. ** If it ain't grounded, it ain't dead.
JJboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 02:17 PM   #3

Evaporator not cold??

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJboy View Post
Seems a restriction at txv valve. You can remove bulb and dip it into a mug of hot water/cold. But you need to have gauges hook up to check pressures. Most like to be a power head problem.
I will check the txv valves but i doubt it is the problem because there is one on each evaporator. So one evaporator should be working fine or guess there is restrictions on both txv valves but i will dip both and see if it changes anything.

What else should i be looking into?

I tried to let the compressor runs without the evap fans for a bit to see if any frost would develop on the evap coil but nothing happened beside the 4 pipes right between the valve and coil icying up.

any ideas what that could be coming from?
Old 10-01-2011, 03:35 PM   #4

Evaporator not cold??

Inside there is one TXV valve in the Evaporator and one TXV valve on outside unit (condenser). Which TXV is freezing?

**Always kill the power ** Hot air rises, but heat will always move from higher to lower temperatures. ** Real man shoot in manual. ** If it ain't grounded, it ain't dead.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:17 PM   #5

Evaporator not cold??

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJboy View Post
Inside there is one TXV valve in the Evaporator and one TXV valve on outside unit (condenser). Which TXV is freezing?

There is no outside txv valve since we are talkin about a cooler here ( refrigeration)

Inside the cooler, there is 2 evaporator coil. Each one of them have a txv valve.

the pipes coming out of them are icying up. no ice or frost on evaporator coils and the coils temp is too high. ( aroung 55 F )

The suction line is colder than beer can cold though
Old 10-01-2011, 04:43 PM   #6

Evaporator not cold??

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicksab View Post
There is no outside txv valve since we are talkin about a cooler here ( refrigeration)

Inside the cooler, there is 2 evaporator coil. Each one of them have a txv valve.

the pipes coming out of them are icying up. no ice or frost on evaporator coils and the coils temp is too high. ( aroung 55 F )

The suction line is colder than beer can cold though
Ok, now we know are you talking about.

Old 10-01-2011, 05:24 PM   #7

Evaporator not cold??

I don't mean to be a butt here..I just want to know how many times I have to tell you that it is time to bring in a real refrigeration technician?
I believe in your last thread we discussed that you are probably low on refrigerant. There is nothing I can do over the internet to fix this. No magic switch, or setting or anything else short of getting a tech, is going to put this to rest.
Master of Cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 08:35 PM   #8

Evaporator not cold??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master of Cold View Post
I don't mean to be a butt here..I just want to know how many times I have to tell you that it is time to bring in a real refrigeration technician?
I believe in your last thread we discussed that you are probably low on refrigerant. There is nothing I can do over the internet to fix this. No magic switch, or setting or anything else short of getting a tech, is going to put this to rest.
I understand your point here and i am not asking for a magic switch.

I am just trying to see if there is things i should look into before calling the tech.

I guess i just want to be sure that it is a " low on refrigerant " diagnostic before having an expensive guy come in. ( commercial hvac tech= $ 245 / hour with 2 hour min charge + $ 600 for the jug of R401A )

I mean this cooler did go to a 43 F temp before i got it . So I am just trying to understand why it is not going down anymore ( goes to 60F- 62F nothing any lower)
Old 10-01-2011, 08:42 PM   #9
HVAC Tech/ Browns Fan

Evaporator not cold??

If its 410a unit it will be a bad cooling txv or plugged up coil or even filter dryer. If u was low on 410 a it will not freeze up it be out of 410a. 410a is a high pressure freon when a leak anywhere it will leak out all of it in about a day
Tator1076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 08:53 PM   #10
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,204

Evaporator not cold??

Quote:
I understand your point here and i am not asking for a magic switch.

I am just trying to see if there is things i should look into before calling the tech.

I guess i just want to be sure that it is a " low on refrigerant " diagnostic before having an expensive guy come in. ( commercial hvac tech= $ 245 / hour with 2 hour min charge + $ 600 for the jug of R401A )

I mean this cooler did go to a 43 F temp before i got it . So I am just trying to understand why it is not going down anymore ( goes to 60F- 62F nothing any lower)
Your only hope is an hvac tech. You should never have "white" lines, before or after a txv.It may be just low enough to frost without freezing up.

I'd pump the system down or better yet recover all refrigerant, nitro test/clean the lines (fix any possible leaks), vacuum and re-charge with new refrigerant. But that's just me.

Is your evaporator clean of debri and is he fan blowing a normal speed? Both suggestions, air flow or lack of it, can lead to icing up.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 09:31 PM   #11

Evaporator not cold??

Where do you live? I have never heard of anyone charging that much per hour. Heck, the company I work for gets a lot of calls because Trane charges $125/hour. As soon as that warranty peorid is over so are their customers.
Master of Cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 01:04 AM   #12

Evaporator not cold??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master of Cold View Post
Where do you live? I have never heard of anyone charging that much per hour. Heck, the company I work for gets a lot of calls because Trane charges $125/hour. As soon as that warranty peorid is over so are their customers.

I live in northern california. That s the price the commercial refrigeration company i called gave me. The regular hvac around here don t service display cooler.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:06 AM   #13

Evaporator not cold??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tator1076 View Post
If its 410a unit it will be a bad cooling txv or plugged up coil or even filter dryer. If u was low on 410 a it will not freeze up it be out of 410a. 410a is a high pressure freon when a leak anywhere it will leak out all of it in about a day
It s R401A, not 410A but it is kind of the same and yeah it would be empty by now and not even starting up at all.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:11 AM   #14

Evaporator not cold??

Quote:
It s R401A, not 410A but it is kind of the same and yeah it would be empty by now and not even starting up at all.
Fix the leak, recharge it. Add some beer for the final test.

Old 10-02-2011, 04:23 AM   #15
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,756

Evaporator not cold??

Could be a restriction, or it could be low on charge. Can't say for sue over the internet without knowing the measurements. R22 and are R410A are both high pressure refrigerants. And a leak doesn't mean they will be empty in a days time.

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote