Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-28-2007, 01:38 PM   #1

Share |

Evaporator coil for Goodman A/C

I have a Goodman Air Handler inside my condo with the unit outside. Recently it started blowing just air, not cold. I had a local HVAC Company come out and check it. The tech said there was a leak in the Evaporator Coil and needed replacing. He quoted me 1985.00 to replace the coil. Even though i'm the homeowner and now work from a desk, I used to be an industrial electrician. This price seemed kind of high. So I did some checking and found some Goodman coils in the 200.00 - 350.00 range depending on model. My problem is tow fold. I believe I could replace the coil myself. Seems straight forward. Question 1: Can I do it? Second, I haven't been able to find the Coil myself. I have all the name plate data from the air handler. Question 2: where can I find it? Any help appreciated.

Goodman Model # AH3645-1B Serial# 0105704948. The cooling fins look like they are running across the coil. The coil sits in the bottom of the unit diagonally from top to bottom. Top sits out and bottom sits in about 12 inches from front to back.

Any help appreciated.

Lance
leschuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 03:47 PM   #2

check with some other contractors in your area, that does seem a little high. I am a contractor in florida, and my price for that job would be approx 1100.00 by the time you add refrigerant labor, drier, evacuation, ect.. assuming ther is not some strange condition such as access issue.
abhac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 12:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhac View Post
check with some other contractors in your area, that does seem a little high. I am a contractor in florida, and my price for that job would be approx 1100.00 by the time you add refrigerant labor, drier, evacuation, ect.. assuming ther is not some strange condition such as access issue.

I agree w/ abhac unless were not getting the whole story that price seems too high. I generally charge around 1200.00.
pearnakata is offline   Reply With Quote