Evaporator Coil Freezing - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-09-2010, 05:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Evaporator coil freezing

Ok, I have a Goodman Ck30-1B unit outside and an evaporator coil in the top of the furnace. The system has run fine until recently. It has started freezing the evaporator coil. When the coil freezes it will freeze all the way out to the line on the unit outside, just the line nothing else. I have checked everything I can think of ( filter, return air vents, draining properly). System doesn't seem to be blowing as cool of air or cooling the house as well as it has in the past. Does anyone have any idea what the heck is going on? Is it just that the refrigerant level is low or do I have a bigger issue? Also what kind of refrigerant does the Goodman CK30-1B take? Can you recharge low refrigerant yourself or do you have to have an HVAC tech do it ( I've seen instructions online for doing it yourself)? Quick answers would be greatly appreciated as I would like to be educated so that I do not get ripped off by an AC company telling me things need fixed that don't need fixed. Thanks all!

Advertisement

jwjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:16 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 780

Evaporator coil freezing

If you are getting enough air over the evaporator then low charge is the next place to look. Need a set of gauges to do that.

Advertisement

PoleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:37 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Evaporator coil freezing

Look at the bottom side of your coil. If it's dirty there wont be enough air flow and it will freeze up. The other cause is low on refrigerant and you can't even buy it without being EPA certified. Time for a service call if the coil is clean.

BYW if it's low on charge then it has a leak. Could get real expensive fast. A good tech will go though everything and tell you what it needs to run and what it needs to run right.

Last edited by Marty S.; 07-09-2010 at 05:41 PM.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marty S. For This Useful Post:
jwjethro (07-09-2010)