DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Evap cooler questions

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  zpm 
#1 ·
I have a rooftop evaporative cooler, about 30 years old. Works great, but about time for a change. I'm looking at the "high-efficiency" rigid filter types, and wondering if they are much better?

I don't really understand the "dump" on these however - apparently they completely drain and refill the water one or more times per day. This seems wasteful to me. Will I have a hose or pipe running down my roof to the gutter?

I appreciate any comments. Thanks

#3 ·
I don't really understand the "dump" on these however - apparently they completely drain and refill the water one or more times per day. This seems wasteful to me.
Its to prevent mineral buildup in the sump water. The water evaporates during cooling, but the minerals in the water that don't stick to the pads stay in the sump. Dumping the sump water and refilling it extends the life of the pads and cooler. It can also prevent against nastys from breeding in old sump water.

Will I have a hose or pipe running down my roof to the gutter?
The water has to go somewhere. Its a gravity drain so it has to go down. Not advisable to stuff the drain line into a plumbing vent. Really not advisable to stuff the drain line into a bath fan vent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.