DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Evap coil question

7K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  hvaclover 
#1 ·
I am a homeowner with very limited knowledge about hvac systems, so please bear with me--if you want to explain it like I was a 2-year old, that's fine with me! :)
My evaporator coil unit was leaking water, so the hvac repair person first blew out the drain pipe. It still leaked, so he checked the freon, said it was low, which, he thought was causing it to cool too much resulting in condensation everywhere in the evaporator coil unit. He filled it with freon, but it still leaked water. He checked the freon level again, said it was fine, and wanted to replace the evaporator coil unit. Given that it was old, and I have insurance for it, I told him to go ahead and order it. Now the insurance company called me to say that they had been informed by the repairman that they no longer make evaporator coils of that size, and there is not enough height to put in the new units. What they want to do is to replace my existing furnace with a new shorter one that would allow a new taller evap coil unit to be put in. OF course, the furnace is not covered, as there is nothing wrong with it, and I would have to pay for it. Is this a reasonable recommendation? The current unit is 28"l x 21"w, and is 18.5" high. The furnace is 46" tall, and the metal connection between the evap coil and the furnace is 6.25" high at the drain end, and 6.75" high at the opposite end. There is at most 3" of room above the evap unit before you get to the main ductwork.
Is there someplace I can check to see if I can find a coil that would fit? Is it worth having someone cut the side to determine if there is just a leak in the pan? If I have omitted any vital info, please ask. I thank you for any information you may provide.

See less See more
#3 ·
there is a drainpan inside the evap coil section of the unit, it is where the water is coming from, if water is coming off the coil that means its working correctly and the leak just needs to be sealed.

The repairman sounds like a lazy moron who would rather replace something on your dime then actually find the problem...

#4 ·
The last two replies are correct. If the Air Handler has a drip pan under it, with the condensate line terminated to the exterior of the building there should be no water leaking beyond it into the home.

And when it is real humid outside or in the home, the evaporator and equipment will sweat to beat the band...normal.

If he didn't clean the coils, that would also add to the excessive moisture. The coils should be professionally cleaned every few years.

But I would agree, your getting ripped-off!

#6 ·
Thank you all.

mdshunk: Where can I find a substitute coil---it is old, and it may need replacing. What other information do I need in order to make sure that I find a correct coil?
If I was in your shoes I'd get all the info I could on the current unit, call the manufacturer, and see if they have a new part # for an updated coild that will work with your system.

#9 ·
Most manufacturers make replacement drip pans to replace ones that are leaking. It would make sense to replace just the drain pan instead of the whole coil. In my opinion that technician you used doesn't know shart from shinola. :no: I would request a different tech.:yes:

#10 ·
Skip. I don't know if you agree with this or not, but I find it hard to believe that a tech who knows how to clear a drain would recharge a system to rid a water leak.

Just the tech knowing what a condensate drain is would make me believe that since he has a knowledge of where the condensate comes from would also be an indicator he knows the refrigeration cycle.

The post just does make sense from that point of view.:no:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.