DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   HVAC (http://www.diychatroom.com/f17/)
-   -   Evap coil question (http://www.diychatroom.com/f17/evap-coil-question-4014/)

merlinfolks 09-21-2006 07:13 PM

Evap coil question
 
I am a homeowner with very limited knowledge about hvac systems, so please bear with me--if you want to explain it like I was a 2-year old, that's fine with me! :-)
My evaporator coil unit was leaking water, so the hvac repair person first blew out the drain pipe. It still leaked, so he checked the freon, said it was low, which, he thought was causing it to cool too much resulting in condensation everywhere in the evaporator coil unit. He filled it with freon, but it still leaked water. He checked the freon level again, said it was fine, and wanted to replace the evaporator coil unit. Given that it was old, and I have insurance for it, I told him to go ahead and order it. Now the insurance company called me to say that they had been informed by the repairman that they no longer make evaporator coils of that size, and there is not enough height to put in the new units. What they want to do is to replace my existing furnace with a new shorter one that would allow a new taller evap coil unit to be put in. OF course, the furnace is not covered, as there is nothing wrong with it, and I would have to pay for it. Is this a reasonable recommendation? The current unit is 28"l x 21"w, and is 18.5" high. The furnace is 46" tall, and the metal connection between the evap coil and the furnace is 6.25" high at the drain end, and 6.75" high at the opposite end. There is at most 3" of room above the evap unit before you get to the main ductwork.
Is there someplace I can check to see if I can find a coil that would fit? Is it worth having someone cut the side to determine if there is just a leak in the pan? If I have omitted any vital info, please ask. I thank you for any information you may provide.

mdshunk 09-21-2006 07:29 PM

Evaporator coils are made in every shape and size imaginable. Somebody's taking you to the cleaners, my friend.

adoble 09-21-2006 09:05 PM

there is a drainpan inside the evap coil section of the unit, it is where the water is coming from, if water is coming off the coil that means its working correctly and the leak just needs to be sealed.

The repairman sounds like a lazy moron who would rather replace something on your dime then actually find the problem...

inspects 09-22-2006 12:31 AM

The last two replies are correct. If the Air Handler has a drip pan under it, with the condensate line terminated to the exterior of the building there should be no water leaking beyond it into the home.

And when it is real humid outside or in the home, the evaporator and equipment will sweat to beat the band...normal.

If he didn't clean the coils, that would also add to the excessive moisture. The coils should be professionally cleaned every few years.

But I would agree, your getting ripped-off!

merlinfolks 09-22-2006 11:09 PM

Thank you all.

mdshunk: Where can I find a substitute coil---it is old, and it may need replacing. What other information do I need in order to make sure that I find a correct coil?

AdRock 07-26-2009 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by merlinfolks (Post 18903)
Thank you all.

mdshunk: Where can I find a substitute coil---it is old, and it may need replacing. What other information do I need in order to make sure that I find a correct coil?

If I was in your shoes I'd get all the info I could on the current unit, call the manufacturer, and see if they have a new part # for an updated coild that will work with your system.

hvaclover 07-26-2009 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdshunk (Post 18806)
Evaporator coils are made in every shape and size imaginable. Somebody's taking you to the cleaners, my friend.

Don't bet on it. Also water was leaking so what good was adding the freon?

hvaclover 07-26-2009 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdRock (Post 307103)
If I was in your shoes I'd get all the info I could on the current unit, call the manufacturer, and see if they have a new part # for an updated coild that will work with your system.

There would be no replacement because all the new evaps are the larger 13 SEER size.

And am I missing something? You guys are talking about changing coils when it's water that's leaking. I didn't get that wrong did I?

A water leak can be caused by a partially blocked drain, off level pan, or a hole in the drain pan. If the drain pan can't be replaced you can epoxy it.

SKIP4661 07-26-2009 08:51 PM

Most manufacturers make replacement drip pans to replace ones that are leaking. It would make sense to replace just the drain pan instead of the whole coil. In my opinion that technician you used doesn't know shart from shinola. :no: I would request a different tech.:yes:

hvaclover 07-26-2009 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKIP4661 (Post 307119)
Most manufacturers make replacement drip pans to replace ones that are leaking. It would make sense to replace just the drain pan instead of the whole coil. In my opinion that technician you used doesn't know shart from shinola. :no: I would request a different tech.:yes:

Skip. I don't know if you agree with this or not, but I find it hard to believe that a tech who knows how to clear a drain would recharge a system to rid a water leak.

Just the tech knowing what a condensate drain is would make me believe that since he has a knowledge of where the condensate comes from would also be an indicator he knows the refrigeration cycle.

The post just does make sense from that point of view.:no:

Plumber101 07-26-2009 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hvaclover (Post 307150)
Skip. I don't know if you agree with this or not, but I find it hard to believe that a tech who knows how to clear a drain would recharge a system to rid a water leak.

Just the tech knowing what a condensate drain is would make me believe that since he has a knowledge of where the condensate comes from would also be an indicator he knows the refrigeration cycle.

The post just does make sense from that point of view.:no:

Perfect sence to me CLover,

Lazy tech...
Tech not busy...
HO does not know HVAC...
Warranty company involved...
Tech makes lots of $$$$$$
Tech makes lots of $$$$$$ at HO expense

Tech needs to either replace the coils pan or coil if pan not made anymore.

I can still get coils for 10 SEER piston or TXV

hvaclover 07-26-2009 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plumber101 (Post 307154)
Perfect sence to me CLover,

Lazy tech...
Tech not busy...
HO does not know HVAC...
Warranty company involved...
Tech makes lots of $$$$$$
Tech makes lots of $$$$$$ at HO expense

Tech needs to either replace the coils pan or coil if pan not made anymore.

I can still get coils for 10 SEER piston or TXV

I question the OP saying that the tech added freon to stop a water leak.

HO could be confusing details.

Plumber101 07-26-2009 10:35 PM

You are right Clover HO may not have all details correct but what we have here is a Freak'n STUPID tech that does not know that the coil pan is probably rusted out.

hvaclover 07-26-2009 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdRock (Post 307103)
If I was in your shoes I'd get all the info I could on the current unit, call the manufacturer, and see if they have a new part # for an updated coild that will work with your system.


Hey Rocket Scientist, did you notice that post is frigging three years old?

AdRock 07-26-2009 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hvaclover (Post 307161)
Hey Rocket Scientist, did you notice that post is frigging three years old?

Hey dick. I did a search for something and this was a thread I ran across in the search. I so humbly apologize that I forgot to look at the thread date. Can you ever forgive me?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:10 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved