Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-14-2013, 12:38 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Error Code 7 on York Diamond 80 Furnace

I have a York P4HUB16N08001A gas furnace which was new in 2000. In 2008, error code 7 was occurring which indicates a problem with low gas pressure, faulty gas valve, faulty hot surface igniter or burner problem however the contractor ended up replacing the entire control board (PWB) for $420.

Now, 4.5 years later, the same code 7 is occurring. The igniter glows, the small motor on the exhaust duct (inducer motor ?) turns on, all the burners ignite for about 5 seconds then go out. I found out that if I cut the power and then turn on again, it starts fine and runs all day as needed. From what I can tell, this only seemed to occur in the morning or sometime after 12AM.

Please tell me why the control board was changed in the past when other components are recommended as the source of the problem. Did that contractor maybe replace the board when it wasn't actually necessary and do some other "things" which actually fixed the problem?

There is some old dried mineral deposits from past condensation in the photos but not affecting the gas valve, ignitor or burners.

Can anyone recommend some other possible solutions? If it truly is the board, I can't believe the original one only lasted 8 years and not the replaced board only lasted 4.5 years. How can they make a product like this and expect consumers to pay $400 a pop? Who can I contact at York or whoever makes York (Unitary Product Group ?) to voice my concerns? Anyone know of a replacement board part number? I am very handy and not shy about tackeling things like this myself.
Attached Thumbnails
Error Code 7 on York Diamond 80 Furnace-img_1610.jpg   Error Code 7 on York Diamond 80 Furnace-img_1611.jpg   Error Code 7 on York Diamond 80 Furnace-img_1612.jpg  

Underwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:58 AM   #2
how

Rewards Points: 578

All these code 7 problems are measured through the flame sensor.
Remove and clean the flame sensor rod with a scour pad or fine steel wool.
Let us know how it goes. There are other things to check first before assuming a board is bad.

Last edited by how; 03-14-2013 at 01:08 AM.
how is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:12 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by how View Post
All these code 7 problems are measured through the flame sensor.
Remove and clean the flame sensor rod with a scour pad or fine steel wool.
Let us know how it goes. There are other things to check first before assuming a board is bad.
Yep which sounds exactly like what he's describing. When your gas valve is energized the board gives it a certain time limit to register the flame. It's usually 7 seconds, but sometimes it's 4 seconds. If it has a low signal like from the sensor being dirty it may light sometimes but not other times, which is why when you cut the power on & off it resets & works fine.

In the first picture you posted the purple wire goes to the flame sensor. Pull that out & clean it as described above. I'd bet that'll solve your problem.
JScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:52 PM   #4
how

PS about your photo!
I don't think the manufacturer of that flexible gas line allows it to be used inside of a furnace cabinet. It stays outside the furnace wall where it's is attached to black iron (& probably with a sediment trap) that is running from the gas valve.
It causes lot's of red tagging by gas inspectors, gas supply companies and gas contractors who won't work on the furnace if the piping upgrade isn't also done.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:59 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the helpful ideas. The flex gas line was installed by a local licenced HVAC contractor in 2000. I'll have to check into that. I just cleaned the flame sensor and hopefully that will solve the problem.

About the mineral deposits/condensation in the photo. Can anyone explain how to prevent it. I can clean it on the outside but should I remove the part where it leaked out and try to clean something inside?

For general maintenance, what else should I be cleaning? Maybe loosen the black gas pipe with the gas jets and clean the silver cone tubes? What about the heat exchanger?
Underwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:01 AM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 3,748

Thats a sign of a low flue temp. Furnace may not be set up properly.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:04 PM   #7
how

It can also be a case of the flue pipe being too cold on start ups. (C vent instead of B vent/ vent pipe in room that is poorly insulated/ allowing the house to become too cold over night.

Clock the furnace while all other gas appliances are turned off. Compare that with the furnace btu rating plate to see if gas pressure adjustments are needed.
A temp rise test should also be done to temper any decision about adjusting the gas pressure. This is a good place to call in a pro.

Externally,this present amount of condensate looks like it's evapourating before it goes beyond the inducer assy and is not much of a reason to worry.