Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-10-2010, 09:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Error code 24 and blown fuse

I have a carrier 58STA110 about 5 years old. A couple days ago we tried to start the heater up and it would not click on. After reading the manual a bit I found it was giving error code 24. I found the secondary fuse on the circuit board on the blower (3 AMP) and it was blown. Went down and bought some new fuses (3 AMP) and tried starting it up again. It immediately blew...

After reading a bit I checked the wire running by the thicker line going to the air conditioner. I didn't see any immediate cuts or exposed areas inside or out.

Can someone point me in some areas to check? Im no pro but I have a multi-meter and feel comfortable around electrical.

Thanks!

ericchile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:03 AM   #2
HVAC / Plumbing

Rewards Points: 1,000

keep looking. You have a short somewhere. Have you seen any mice around ? For some reason, they love to chew wiring. could even be short at the board

kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:46 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the help... I haven't seen any mice, except for the 3 giants ones I call my children (by the way they say it is too cold in the morning).

So I disconnected the thermostat, bought 6 feet of stat wire from HD. Wired it directly to the control panel and it still blew the fuse (I have gone through about 9 3amp fuses).

I was thinking about connecting the W and R and no other wires on the control board and then turning the furnace back on to by pass the thermostat completely. (hXXp://www.acmediy.com/hvac/test-thermostat.php) Is this a good idea? If it still blows the 3amp fuse does that mean its the control panel?

Thanks!
ericchile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:51 PM   #4
HVAC / Plumbing

Rewards Points: 1,000

look for any wires on the furnace that may have rubbed insulation off & is touching metal somewhere. I would checking everything b-4 I bought control board. There not cheap & you could have the same problem. Yes by pass t. stat & only use r & w . If it still blows fuse do the above checks

Last edited by kenmac; 10-13-2010 at 09:56 PM.
kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:52 PM   #5
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 2,698

Follow the red wires from the limit control which is above the burners. Common for them to touch the hot exhaust fan and short out. If so, fix them and secure them with a tie wrap so they don't touch it again.