Energy Consumption Of Furnace Fan - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-16-2011, 08:29 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,000

Energy consumption of furnace fan

Could anyone please tell me about the energy consumption of continuously running the furnace fan vs ceiling fan, or a/c.

I have an old electric furnace that costs a crazy amount of $ to heat in winter. I'm satisfied with the effect of the furnace fan running but I'm trying to keep the electric bill to a minimum.

Thanks to anyone who responds

Advertisement

creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:05 AM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 766

Your basic fan motor uses about 4 amps x 120 volts = 480 watts. 500 w =1/2 kw. multiply your cost for elec in cents/kwh to get the cost. Ie 8c/kwh x .5 kwh = 4c/hour x 24 hrs = $1/day + taxes = $365/yr. Shocking Eh. Thats why we sell new units with energy saving ECM motors. Not sure what a ceiling fan uses but if you can find the specs/amperage draw you can figure it out. You can get Norton electric furnaces (my favorite) with ECM motors. The elements may be obsolete for your old unit and they can be a SERIOUS fire hazard when they start shorting out. Wiring gets VERY brittle and starts arcing and sparking on those old units due to poor/corroded/overheated connections etc. Good chance some of your elements/sequencers are already faulty/burnt out and contributing to your high cost. Need an experienced service electrician or tech who does electric furnaces ( few do) to check it.

Advertisement

Last edited by yuri; 07-16-2011 at 09:07 AM.
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:40 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Thanks so much for your speedy reply. Wow, expensive...still alot cheaper than a/c though and with our brief northern heat waves I prefer to enjoy every sticky sweaty moment. You get that don't you my fellow Canuck?

As for the furnace I finally had gas piped in, so by the winter I will have a new furnace. Any thoughts on brands for a 1900 sq ft backsplit?

Thanks again
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:07 AM   #4
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 766

I prefer the major brands as they are easier to get parts for in the LONG run. I would definetly get a ECM motor also known as variable speed ECM motor. The Lennox G61V is a very good tried tested and true furnace. May be replaced by a new model in 6 months but they are still available. VERY few problems with them as they have been around for 8 years and all the wrinkles ironed out. The Lennox SLP is also very good with an ECM motor and 3 stages/variable capacity mode. Lennox, Carrier / Bryant are my favorites but finding a long term reputable installer is very important. Nothing wrong with the other brands but there has been a LOT of takeovers of one brand by another etc and in the long run it is hard to get parts for some of them when they have been resold 3X. Lennox and Carrier are so huge that will never happen. The more expensive brands have more extra adjustment features on their circuit boards for fan adjustments etc than the lesser priced brands. You get what you pay for.

Going to be 30-33 deg C for all of next week so I should be busy. I hate high humidity and if it never went over 25 C I would be happy.

Last edited by yuri; 07-16-2011 at 10:09 AM.
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote