Enclosing Access To Duct "valves" In Basement. - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-19-2009, 12:59 PM   #1
Master Joatmon

Rewards Points: 25

Enclosing access to duct "valves" in basement.

I am in the process of finishing my basement and want to enclose the run of ductwork that consists of the out going and return air. Within this run are those "valves" that allow me to close off each of the branches from the out going main duct. I would like to set these completely open and enclose the duct work without having to build some kind of access door to them. I would then adjust each room's air flow by adjusting the incoming register in each room instead of the valve in the basement. Those valves never seem to completely close anyway, but the registers appear to be air tight when closed. Is this kosher? BTW, with the use of that shiny aluminum duct tape and 100% silicone caulk, I have sealed every joint and connection in the duct work that I have access to in the basement (both outgoing and return ducts).

Advertisement

Chucky Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 03:21 PM   #2
30 year tech

Rewards Points: 250

I would recommend a suspended ceiling so you can get to the later if you ever need to. Also with the technology going like it is I would want the means to run wires and such at a later date.

Advertisement

hvac122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 07:45 AM   #3
Master Joatmon

Thanks for the reply. The ceiling and hanging duct work is going to be enclosed in stained and varnished luan 32"x32" panels with 3/4" wide trim over the seams. I guess in this area I will fasten the luan and trim to the framing I installed with screws so I can access later. It's a PITA vs. air nailer driven trim nails, but it it will serve for access purposes like you mentioned.

I don't know that much about fluid dynamics, but I was curious if it mattered whether I close off a zone at the branch origin (basement) or the branch end (register in the room).

CJ
Old 08-21-2009, 03:32 PM   #4
Master Joatmon

Still wondering if the HVAC pros would know if it mattered whether I close off a zone at the branch origin (basement) or the branch end (register in the room).

The ductwork is only airtight with aluminum tape and caulk until it dissapears up into the walls and floors.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:32 PM   #5
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 912

It is better to close them at the branch. If you just use the floor registers they can be noisy after that as they don't seal 100%.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote