Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-13-2012, 04:31 PM   #1

Share |

empire/corcho gas heater

I hope some one can point me in the right direction. My mother has a gas heater in her family room. It needs a new igniter. I called the company and they told me they have no parts as the heater is discontinued. I would like to know if there is a independent site or company that may have a generic part that will work. Tthe heater is an Empire/corcho. I really hat to replace the whole heater just for an igniter. Thanks for any help.

packer_rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:54 PM   #2

empire/corcho gas heater

either it is a spark or glow coil check here for a part and pricing http://www.bestbuyheatingandairconditioning.com/ if the heater has no electric to it might be a staic heater with a millivolt generator assembly...

Last edited by biggles; 01-13-2012 at 05:32 PM.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:18 PM   #3
how

empire/corcho gas heater

A number of family room style gas heaters just use generic barbeque/fireplace pelzo igniters. Can you describe (or better yet- post a photo) of this igniter.
how is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:57 PM   #4

empire/corcho gas heater

Sorry no pic, but it works exactly like a bbq igniter. Push the button and it sparks inside the unit.
packer_rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:23 PM   #5
how

empire/corcho gas heater

If it truely only lights the pilot flame and is not also a part of a pilot proving system, then it might be easy to deal with. The issue will be if it can mount where the spark can intersect the pilot flame as it hits the pilot hood and also will the push button activator be able to be secured properly. I think a picture from a cell phone is in order as an alternative to replacing the whole heater.
You can also pick up a $20.00 barby ignition replacement kit at a box store to see if the igniter & activator look like the same thing. Some are identical.
The other posibility is just a one time opening of the glass and manually lighting the pilot, following the gas valve/pilot lighting instructions, especially if she normally leaves the pilot on all the time. Some of those style of units are not even sealed and can be manually lit through an opening below the pilot. Just make sure there are no wires in the way to singe as you do it.

Last edited by how; 01-13-2012 at 06:34 PM.
how is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:31 PM   #6

empire/corcho gas heater

if its that old that they don't have service parts...consider replacing it with an updated unit with better saftys and technolgy...

ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote