Emergency Backup Heat, Ventless Vs Direct Vent - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

Old 09-22-2015, 01:42 PM   #1
Rewards Points: 185

Emergency backup heat, ventless vs direct vent

Was thinking of a direct vent propane heater for emergency use during power outages,
but I'm wondering how a ventless heater would work out.

I tried a small Mr Heater in a small camper one time and the moisture output was unreal.

But I wonder how a ventless would work out just running only in the daytime
during a power outage for a space of about 600 sq.ft.

Has anyone tried a ventless for power outages and was the moisture a problem ?

Also, what is your opinion of a 'blue flame' ventless vs an infrared ventless ?

Last edited by Arky217; 09-22-2015 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Additional question
Arky217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 01:52 PM   #2
Rewards Points: 5,492

Little bath room ventless gas heaters have been used in old breezy houses for years but that doesn't mean there weren't unknown health problems from them. And moisture usually wasn't a problem.

Personally I would not have a ventless gas heater in my house. The kitchen range used occasionally is enough for me.

SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 05:09 PM   #3
Rewards Points: 2,774

Vent free fireplaces/heater are dangerous and illegal where i am.

If you're in the us they may be legal in your area, but equally dangerous. Just because your government says they're okay, doesn't make it so.

It's not just monoxide and moisture you have to worry about - combustion uses up the oxygen, puts out dioxide which isn't healthy in large amounts, also release trace amounts of toxic substances.

Don't even think about it.

Gas ranges are different because they're supposed to be used with a vented range hood and stay off most of the time.

Last edited by user_12345a; 09-22-2015 at 05:14 PM.
user_12345a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 07:01 PM   #4
Rewards Points: 32

I was a repairman for a gas utility for years, then had my own furnace and gas fireplace repair business.

IF EVERYONE who used unvented gas fireplaces, read, understood and followed ALL the warnings routinely given by unvented fireplace manufacturers, no doubt they could be used safely.

However, in my years of working with people who have unvented fireplaces, I have yet to find a single person who read, understood and followed all the warnings provided by manufacturers.

Because of that, I've packed off people to the hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning and been plaintiff's witness when the owner of NEWE equipment sued the installer for installing the logs on a new unvented fireplace improperly, which created a CO level of 50 PPM in the house.

Just for openers--- I've never seen an unvented fireplace where the manufacturer accepted it as heating equipment. It is invariably described as being for decorative purposes only, and often has time limits it should be operated per hour, and often recommends that an exterior window in the room be opened while the fireplace is in use.

I recommend that you do not buy unvented fireplaces. Of you do, READ and UNDERSTAND and expect to follow ALL the warnings provided by the manufacturer. There are usually a lot of them.
SeattlePioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeattlePioneer For This Useful Post:
SeniorSitizen (09-22-2015)