Electric Radiant Floor Heat - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-29-2010, 09:41 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

electric radiant floor heat

currently have electric baseboard heat in the kitchen and two baths. completely gutting those rooms down to the floor joists soooo i was wondering about putting electric radiant floor heat. the kitchen is 11x12 and the two baths are standard nothing spectacular. i guess my question is will radiant floor heat give enough heat for those rooms or will i still need the baseboard heaters also? also any suggestions on what type to put down. i am putting ceramic tile down on the floors. thanks....

Advertisement

w36cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:54 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

We didn't have heat in the bathroom
I installed electric radiant heat in the bathroom & the hallway directly outside
In most cases the distance between the wire gives a different heat rating (watts)
So many watts per sq ft is needed..mine is 7a @ 120v
Mine were installed 2" apart & easily heat the bathroom & hallway

Electric can be expensive depending upon your rates
I'm planning on putting it in our 16x16 sunroom too - 240v due to size of area

Advertisement

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:20 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

so scuba dave... how hard was it to install... my downstairs does have a small hallway between the kitchen and bath that i was also going to tile.. didn't think of putting the heat there also.... duh..... and i am stuck with electric heat regardless so as far as the heating bill i am outta luck anyway... lol... thanks
w36cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:20 AM   #4

I looked at the pre-made wire in matts
For about the same price I bought 2x the wire & ran it myself
I used self levelling for the floor to embed the wire - can be messy
Then tiled on top
Its not really hard - IMO - but labor intensive

My bathroom is small, only about 21 sq ft of heated floor
Then about 44 sq ft of hallway
I opted for the programmable thermostat instead of just the dial
I like being able to set it at a specific Temp & automaticaly have it come on in the AM before we get up
Old 03-30-2010, 09:42 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

w36cowgirl - the question you're asking is if you can get rid of your baseboard heat and just use heated tile? If that's your only source of heat then no. The radiant heat under the tile is going to be enough to warm up the tile so its not cold on your feet but I wouldn't count on it to heat the whole room.

It's not that hard to install if you're going to be tiling anyway. I would recommend using Ditra over top of it or some self levelling compound or both. You may need to run a dedicated circuit from your breaker box to power it though.
jobondur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobondur View Post
w36cowgirl - the question you're asking is if you can get rid of your baseboard heat and just use heated tile? If that's your only source of heat then no. The radiant heat under the tile is going to be enough to warm up the tile so its not cold on your feet but I wouldn't count on it to heat the whole room.

It's not that hard to install if you're going to be tiling anyway. I would recommend using Ditra over top of it or some self levelling compound or both. You may need to run a dedicated circuit from your breaker box to power it though.
Sorry but radiant heat can & is used to heat rooms
At 2" spacing it provides 15w per square foot
My bathroom has radiant floor heat ONLY & I can heat it up to 80+ if I want
We turn it up to 74 before my sons bath
I like the heat much better as I walk around in socks a lot & the warm floor feels great
Old 03-31-2010, 02:25 PM   #7
Electric Radiant Heating

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobondur View Post
w36cowgirl - the question you're asking is if you can get rid of your baseboard heat and just use heated tile? If that's your only source of heat then no.
I am in full agreement with Scuba. We install low voltage every day for primary heating systems. All you need to do is your homework. Find out what the heat loss is and go well beyond that and you will have primary (naturally, we don't just throw out the watts and hope for the best). But, the numbers don't lie.

The only reason we don't use line voltage for primary (sorry Dave) is the 10 year warranty on the element. Though I believe there are some line voltage manufacturers who are warrantying their element for 25 years now, it's a prorated warranty. That means it's not really 25 years. And, you have to send them back the entire element proving where the damage is. Try removing the entire element without damaging it! Good luck...better yet, wish for a miracle.

We prefer to offer a 25 year element that, by its design, won't burn out some day. And, if it is damaged by a third party, a simple butt splice and some heat shrink fixes it and maintains the 25 year warranty.

Advertisement