DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Electric Radiant Baseboard and Built-in Bookshelves

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  beenthere 
#1 ·
We have an addition...the general contractor totally messed up (long story)...there is no heat, heat has to be added to pass inspection, ductwork heat won't be sufficient to heat the room (so we're told) and there will need to be an addition of one or two electric baseboard heaters to provide sufficient heating. There are limited places baseboard heaters can go and using them will result in having to give up our plans for built-in bookshelves. Several questions:

1. Is there a way to keep the plans of built-in bookshelves (planned to be installed along the majority of two walls) and also use baseboard heat? Can the baseboard be installed in front of the bookshelves, for example?

2. Is there another option for heat besides baseboard? We can't use forced air, can't use gas, and can't use hot water in the floor. What options am I missing?

#2 ·
Baseboard heaters could be installed and the bookshelves custom made around them. You need to contact an electrician who knows the code and have him find out what can be done. Also check with the building code inspector and your insurance agent. Baseboard heaters require very little clearance and as long as drapes are not covering them are usually an easy way to add heat to a room.

#4 · (Edited)
lookup......

yuri, thanks! I'm concerned too about the heat...if it will mess up the books over time because of being so close. Any bibliophiles here? lol
......kickspace heaters online to see what i'm talking about.. depending on the primary heat in your house. they work great with hw but can use other mediums..check it out , from your pic it may work , mabe 2 if needed....:yes: btw , nice job with the cabinetry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.