Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-27-2008, 10:52 AM   #1

Share |

Electric Kick Heater for Bathroom

I am remodeling our bathroom and need to replace the old electric kick heater that is mounted under the vanity. This time around I would like to get the best and most energy efficient model available. Can anyone provide any recommendations? The rest of the house (and bathroom) has hot water baseboard heat, the kick heater is only used on especially cold mornings just to take the chill out of the room while showering. I would also like to get one that has an external thermostat as the old one was a paing - had to get down on your hands and knees to turn it on and off.

meth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 03:40 PM   #2

Not sure if this is what you are looking for but, at the request of my wife I am going to do electric radiant floor heating, just in the bathroom. It is not very expensive like 300 for the floor mat that goes under the tiles, and comes with a digital wall thermostat. I assume if you are remodeling the bathroom you may be putting down new tile floor.

For us this is also auxiliary but, I think it will make a huge difference... For one, stepping out of the shower onto a warm floor, or , in the middle of the night when the rest of our house is set at 62F, we can keep the bathroom warm for when the wife gets up in the middle of the night, etc.

Last edited by pcampbell; 10-27-2008 at 03:43 PM.
pcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:09 AM   #3

Actually - I'm not sure if we are doing the floor or not, but I do like this option if we do. Have you researched any of the specifics that you can share? (web sites). I am going to look into this a little further too.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:43 AM   #4

I am not sure... we are not there yet.

Actually I am looking to replace an old electric radiant heater in the basement bathroom with one that is oil filled. Just looking for something cheap to heat a 2nd bathroom...
pcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 11:09 AM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Electric is 100% efficienct weater its an oil filled unit, or just a coil unit.

Only difference is, the oil fill takes longer to warm up, and to cool down.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:31 AM   #6

I'm just about ready to start this project and have decided to do away with the kick heater and utilize the electric that is there (240) to install an electric radiant floor mat. It seems that this would be the most energy efficient and comfortable way to supplement the heat in the bathroom. The bath also has baseboard hot water heat, however it does not have its own zone and shares with the master bedroom. Since we keep that thermostat turned down I do not want to heat the whole room in the morning when we get up to shower. The total bathroom size is about a 12x12 but I will take some exact measurements. I assume that the mat only goes in the main floor section in front of the vanity/toilet area and up to the base of the tub. There is a tile floor there now which I will pull up, it appears to have a standard plywood sub floor. Do I need to do anything with the sub floor?