Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-03-2012, 09:43 AM   #1

Share |

Electric/Gas Fireplace won't start

Hey guys, got an issue with my electric/gas fireplace here.

We moved in here back in August, and there's 2 electric gas fireplaces in the house. One has a switch associated with it, whereas the other does not. Now, the one that doesn't I've managed to get the pilot lit, and it's plugged in. Still, just the pilot is on.

There are a couple dials beneath the faceplate - one that ranges from HI to LO, and an obvious toggle dial, as well (there's a 'snap' on/off sound at a certain degree of turn).

Am I missing something here? I've tried unplug/plug, dial in both toggle positions, and the HI/LO in different positions. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Gord

GordCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:52 AM   #2
Hvac Pro

did U turn the gas valve to ON position after lighting the pilot?

Old 03-03-2012, 09:55 AM   #3

Fairly sure - valve on = parallel to the intake pipe, correct?
Old 03-03-2012, 09:58 AM   #4

What I'll do is actually grab a quick pic of the setup and post here, beneath the faceplate, and inside the unit itself. Back in 5!
Old 03-03-2012, 10:01 AM   #5
Hvac Pro

There is a notch and usually a dot on the valve or stamping with ON OFF and Pilot positions.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
There is a notch and usually a dot on the valve or stamping with ON OFF and Pilot positions.
Yeah, it's in the 'ON' position currently, with the gas main feeding gas to the unit as well. I have it plugged into a power strip, and the HI/LO set to about the halfway mark.

The attached little sheet under the unit says to disable power, get pilot lit, then get power established with switch in the ON position. I've tried that, still no dice. Here's those pics, though!

First pic is the unit dial setup underneath the faceplate, second pic is a snap of the internal - there's some fluffy insulation stuff up front, in addition to the rest of the rocks, etc... and what looks like some wood chips?

Last edited by GordCooper; 03-03-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:11 AM   #7

I know, they're enormous, apologies, trying to do things with a 2 year old girl on my lap
Old 03-03-2012, 10:21 AM   #8
GC/Master Plumber/Mech

The knob with on/pilot/off try and turn Counter clock wise so that the on position is where the pilot is now. You may have to slightly depress the knob while turning

Tempstar and Trane Dealer
Plumber101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:21 AM   #9
Hvac Pro

If the knob is slightly off then that may be the problem. Pics are huge and you need to down size them or put them on photobucket or imageshack and put the links here as the rest of the post is all over the place. Looks OK to me. the dial is a speed control for the electric fan in the unit to blow heat out . has nothing to do with the burner. burner uses a millivolt pilot generator and if it is weak or the pilot flame too small or pilot burner dirty then it does not produce enough power for the gas valve. I would recommend you get a fireplace repair tech to service it as there is a fragile gasket on the glass window and the unit needs disassembly. people have got CO poisioning from fireplaces and I doubt you want to have that happen with your family.

Last edited by yuri; 03-03-2012 at 10:23 AM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:23 AM   #10
GC/Master Plumber/Mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
Well you need to down size them or put them on photobucket or imageshack and put the links here as the rest of the post is all over the place. Looks OK to me. the dial is a speed control for the electric fan in the unit to blow heat out . has nothing to do with the burner. burner uses a millivolt pilot generator and if it is weak or the pilot flame too small or pilot burner dirty then it does not produce enough power for the gas valve. I would recommend you get a fireplace repair tech to service it as there is a fragile gasket on the glass window and the unit needs diassembly. people have got CO poisioning from fireplaces and I doubt you want to have that happen with your family.
I think he has the gas valve still in the pilot position and needs to move to the ON position

Old 03-03-2012, 10:25 AM   #11
Hvac Pro

Could be, hard to tell from here. It's easy when you are a Pro and can overlook the obvious as you turned it yourself. My apprentices must hate me when I ask them blunt questions but sometimes it is the obvious that trips people up.

Last edited by yuri; 03-03-2012 at 10:28 AM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yuri For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (03-03-2012)
Old 03-03-2012, 11:04 AM   #12

Dropped pics to 800x600, sorry again for that!

I checked the Pilot switch, it's set to ON - I remember having to specifically pull it out and do the counterclockwise turn to get it to stay on after doing the hold-in/strike.

So taking the front glass cover off could mess it up then? I was debating pulling it just to clean it, but if there's a delicate mechanism, I don't want to mess anything up here.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:09 AM   #13
GC/Master Plumber/Mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordCooper View Post
Dropped pics to 800x600, sorry again for that!

I checked the Pilot switch, it's set to ON - I remember having to specifically pull it out and do the counterclockwise turn to get it to stay on after doing the hold-in/strike.

So taking the front glass cover off could mess it up then? I was debating pulling it just to clean it, but if there's a delicate mechanism, I don't want to mess anything up here.
You might double check though. I really believe the ON needs to be at the bottom. But Yuri may be right you could have a thermopile being weak.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:12 AM   #14
Hvac Pro

I would not recommend it as there is a gasket but I am sure that DIYers do it all the time. Sounds like you have problems with low output from the pilot generator which can be wiring related or switch related etc etc. Unless you are good at electronics and know how to test for miilivolts and have the tools you may want to get a Pro. I would watch him remove the glass and learn how to inspect the gasket etc. Saving $$ is one thing safety another. Unfortunately safety goes out the window for some people and the bucks $$ take over.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:53 AM   #15
how

A couple of obvious notes would be that this unit most likely is not really operated (convinience wise) through the gas valve, but through a toggle / rocker switch on the edge of the outside of the fireplace or a regular light switch in the room.
Most millivolt fireplace problems occur from the resistance that the 1/2 Volt operating current incurs through the wiring, connections and components. Is there a light switch in the room that doesn't seem to be operating anything? Is there any rocker switches on the outside edge of the fireplace unit?

how is offline   Reply With Quote