Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-01-2004, 04:35 AM   #1

Share |

electric furnace need help

I recently bought a home repo. The house has been empty for approx 1 year. It has an electric furnace (bryant) no heat pump. The temp. here is around 5 Degrees outside likewise inside. I had the power turned on yesterday and started the furnace around 4:00 P.M. when I went over this morning approx 10:00 A.M. 18 hours later the inside temp. was around 53 Degrees. So I called a service tech out. He checked it out and said everything working properly. I went back over tonight at Approx. 9:00 P.M. now 29 hours into operation the temp. is now 56 Degrees. This is the first electric furnace I have had. Does this sound like everythings working properly. how long does it take for an electric furnace to heat to 72 or 75 or78 Degrees? in the past I have always had natural gas and it never took this kind of time frame. any help is appreciated

Old 10-04-2007, 06:18 PM   #2

Is the house insulated?

redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 08:55 PM   #3

No electric furnace I have ever worked on has taken that long to heat up a house. It shouldn't take any longer than a gas unit if it has been sized properly.
I suspect that you have a burnt out element or your sequencers aren't working properly. I would be tempted to cal out a different heating company, and make sure they know hoe to trouble shoot an electric furnace. You could ask them how many amps of current the furnace is drawing while operating. Ussually they will draw between 15 and 20 amps for each element that is running.(4-5KW each element/240volt power)
My experience with electric furnaces (if you don't know anything about them) is that the quickest way to fix them up is to request that the sequencers are changed(that's ussually the problem) and they generally aren't too expensive(typically $35 to $50 each)
HVACDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 02:41 AM   #4
TheForsaleBoard.com

I would suspect a bad element, bad sequencer, or the unit is undersized.
What is the supply temp?
TheFor is offline   Reply With Quote