DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   HVAC (http://www.diychatroom.com/f17/)
-   -   Electric boilers... (http://www.diychatroom.com/f17/electric-boilers-170931/)

He123321 02-03-2013 06:52 PM

Electric boilers...
 
I was giving the 2 links below by a fellow member, and this route has caught my eye.

http://ecomfort.com/eb-ma-10-warmflo...10kw-3145.html
http://www.heatersplus.com/products/boiler.html

I have an oil furnance that keeps my house warm via water baseboards, but I want this setup out off my house. I would love to replace the oil furnance with an electric boiler. I searched this forum, and did a few google searches, but I found no real feedback, or reviews on such a setup.

My house is a small 900+sq ft cape cod on concrete slab, with electric baseboards in the 2nd floor.

Not really worry about a high electric bill.

Anyone running such a boiler in their property?

DannyT 02-03-2013 06:53 PM

can't you use gas? gas is usually always cheaper than electric.

yuri 02-03-2013 06:58 PM

Thermolec makes a very well built elec boiler and series of products and has been around for ages. You may need a wiring upgrade to handle an elec boiler and gas is cheaper but if you have to pay a lot to have a line installed from the street that is a cost to look at also.

He123321 02-03-2013 06:59 PM

DannyT, oil, propane, or heat pump are my only options in my street. I wish I had a gas line on my street, but not at this time. I was going to install electric baseboads until a fellow member told me about the electric boilers. I never knew such a product excited.

The cost of yearly maintance, oil cost, air in the baseboards and the froozen line that happens once in a while got me over the edge. I need to enjoy my winters, and not worry about a heater.

Thanks for the info yuri...

TarheelTerp 02-03-2013 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by He123321 (Post 1108844)
Anyone running such a boiler in their property?

Don't interpret that as any sort of specific recommendation for those brands or models. They may be fine... but were chosen only because they were the first hits found with decent pics when I googled.

It was just meant to give you the idea of sourcing an electric boiler to replace your PITA oil burner, allow you to get rid of the oil tank and allow you to keep everything else in the existing FHW system (controls, pumps, BB radiators, etc) in place.

If I were to recommend a brand... it would probably be Slant Fin
http://www.slantfin.com/index.php/pr...al/monitron-eh

You can do the same: http://bit.ly/11yUlnf

He123321 02-03-2013 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TarheelTerp (Post 1108856)
Don't interpret that as any sort of specific recommendation for those brands or models. They may be fine... but were chosen only because they were the first hits found with decent pics when I googled.

It was just meant to give you the idea of sourcing an electric boiler to replace your PITA oil burner, allow you to get rid of the oil tank and allow you to keep everything else in the existing FHW system (controls, pumps, BB radiators, etc) in place.

If I were to recommend a brand... it would probably be Slant Fin
http://www.slantfin.com/index.php/pr...al/monitron-eh

You can do the same: http://bit.ly/11yUlnf

I truely appretiate the help/info man. I have searched, and found a few companines, but now I need to see which local company in my area install/services them.

He123321 02-04-2013 01:25 PM

Well, I guess the electric boiler option is now off the table. I called all around, and no one installs them. I guess electric baseboard it is for me.

beenthere 02-04-2013 05:37 PM

Why not get a direct vent wall hung LP boiler. they're quiet.

COLDIRON 02-04-2013 05:59 PM

If you have an adequate electric service why not just install an electric hot water heater and electric baseboards downstairs. My house is total electric. No stinky oil, no gas, no heat pumps, no maintenance, thermostat's in every room, easy to replace if one breaks. Just make sure your house is tight if you go electric IE; windows, doors, attic insulation. We love it shut off rooms you don't need.
Oh, I've been in this house 22 years and no baseboards have broken.
Very reliable.

He123321 02-04-2013 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLDIRON (Post 1109566)
If you have an adequate electric service why not just install an electric hot water heater and electric baseboards downstairs. My house is total electric. No stinky oil, no gas, no heat pumps, no maintenance, thermostat's in every room, easy to replace if one breaks. Just make sure your house is tight if you go electric IE; windows, doors, attic insulation. We love it shut off rooms you don't need.
Oh, I've been in this house 22 years and no baseboards have broken.
Very reliable.

2 of my neighbors have the same setup, but the person that did there work, passed away. I will find me a person to do the work by the summer. Thanks for the reply, and I agree with you.

He123321 02-11-2013 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLDIRON (Post 1109566)
If you have an adequate electric service why not just install an electric hot water heater and electric baseboards downstairs. My house is total electric. No stinky oil, no gas, no heat pumps, no maintenance, thermostat's in every room, easy to replace if one breaks. Just make sure your house is tight if you go electric IE; windows, doors, attic insulation. We love it shut off rooms you don't need.
Oh, I've been in this house 22 years and no baseboards have broken.
Very reliable.

Just found out I have a 100 amp panel, so I have a guy coming over to see what can be do to pervent the panel upgrade. Im kind of exited to be oil free pretty soon :thumbup:

COLDIRON 02-11-2013 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by He123321 (Post 1114776)
Just found out I have a 100 amp panel, so I have a guy coming over to see what can be do to pervent the panel upgrade. Im kind of exited to be oil free pretty soon :thumbup:

"Nice"

He123321 02-11-2013 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLDIRON (Post 1114814)
"Nice"

Tell me about it...

I was told that I needed to doing the following to my current oil setup.

Replace the 20+ year old oil tank. $2100 cheapest qoute to date.

Replace blower cover. $1100 because they dont sell just the cover, and the whole motor/blower/pump come in one setup. So they say.

Replace feeder, and expansion tank. $300 repair

$1600 if I want to add a hot water heater to my current setup.

Around $5100, and I still would have to deal with the headaches of very cold winters and the negative affects it adds to it. Plus a loud furnace in the kitchen, and the pipes making their ocean type noises, lol...

COLDIRON 02-11-2013 11:34 AM

You might have to increase your Electrical Service to 200 amp. I think it would still be worth it if that makes you feel comfortable.

He123321 02-11-2013 12:46 PM

I hear you.

My current home is a small 965 sq ft cape cod with no electric range, no dish washer, or washer/drier. I do have the wiring for the drier that might be used for some of the baseboards. Still lets see what he says. Fingers are crossed, lol...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:47 AM.