DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Electric baseboard heat/relay switch issues

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  old_squid 
#1 ·
I think the relay switch for my electric baseboard is either wired incorrectly or malfunctioning. I have three electric baseboard unit in series (5500 watts. 22.9 amps total), one thermostat and a 24v relay switch. First time I turned the breaker on, the baseboard (after a delay) fired. I adjust the thermostat down below the room temp. expecting the baseboard to shut off. They did not.

Assuming the thermostat was bad, I disconnected it and left the therm. wires dangling. Turned the breaker back on and after a delay, the baseboard fired again.

At that point I figured the relay was bad or wired incorrectly. I took a cursory look at the panel and noted that the wires dedicated to Heating Load #2 were being used.

I'm wondering is those wires need to be used? I thought that with the baseboard being in series that the red, black and blue from Heating Load #1 were all that needed to be used.

The relay switch is a White-Rodgers 24A06G-1.

Thanks.

#2 ·
Generally makes no difference which load wires you use. Sounds like a short in the thermostat or its wires.

Those heaters are wired in parallel. Seies with the relay, parallel to each other. If they were wired in series. You would get very little heat.

#3 ·
There definitely is heat, so they are not in series.

I took the thermo out of the mix by disconnecting the wires at the thermostat, so that should prevent the baseboard from heating up, but it doesn't.

That makes me think the relay is bad or miss wired.

#4 ·
Could be miswired. Since you say there is a delay when you turn the power back on. Sounds like a short in the wiring.

Disconnect the stat wires at the relay itself.

#5 ·
Do you have more than one thermostat in the house? Are you sure the relay you're looking at and the thermostat your looking at are the same circuit?

The relay does have a delay built into it. Most delays in these types of relays delay on and off. I'd go with disconnecting the thermostat wires at the relay also. If it still turns on the BB's after a delay your going to need to replace the relay.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.