DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Electric Baseboard Convection Heater - Buying House Info?

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  rgm20 
#1 ·
Hi,

I'm looking at a house that I would like to put an offer on, but just had a question regarding electrical baseboard convection heaters and how well they work.

The house has mainly regular baseboard heating throughout the house, but I noticed the homeowner has in 2 bathrooms upstairs electrical baseboard convection heaters installed. I don't know why he didn't just run the pipes into the bathrooms too; since he just renovated the whole house.

1. These heaters are installed on the inside wall of the bathroom near the sink and not on the widow side of the wall; will the placement of these electrical heaters cause heating issues during the winter, since they are not near the outside/window wall?

I just don't want to purchase the house and then end up finding out during the winter that these electric baseboard convection heaters can't heat up the bathrooms properly and they are freezing in the winter.

2. Regarding these electric baseboard convection heaters, can they be tied in to the existing thermostat that runs the regular baseboard heating?

This way I can still use the thermostat to control the heating in the whole house including these electric baseboard convection heaters.

Thank you!

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for the reply!

Just so I'm better informed on this exactly; can you elaborate more on why these electrical baseboard convection heaters in the upstairs bathrooms are no good?

I will need to ask the homeowner, but I don't know why if all the other bedrooms upstairs have regular baseboard heating; why wouldn't he run these pipes into the bathroom too?

Thanks again!

#4 ·
May not have been able to get the pipes into the bathrooms.

They will work ok on the inside walls.

It would take some major control rewiring and additional relays/contactors to make teh electric heaters work off of your regular thermostat.

#5 ·
The baseboard heaters should work fine provided they are in working order. If they aren't they're inexpensive to replace. Also, I don't think it's a negative that they aren't tied to the main thermostat. By operating them separately you can turn down your central thermostat and heat only the bathrooms as needed to whatever temperature you desire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.