Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-16-2010, 07:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

An efficient programmable thermostat for a heat pump?

Hello, I'm searching for a programmable thermostat that when set to a temperature in heat mode will run the compressor first then kick in the aux heat if only necessary. I bought/installed a RiteTemp 6025 thinking it would operate that way (after all it's got a microprocessor in it) but no luck. If you program for a differential of more than a few degrees it waits until that time and kicks in the aux heat running it until the temp is reached. I've looked through the descriptions and manuals of a variety of thermostats online and can't find any reference to this kind of energy saving programming. Thanks, any help would be appreciated.
Mark

mow2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:06 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

The 3 stage honeywell are nice I believe they are called the vision pro series .You just need to get the right # of stages for you unit.
Joe

jsmith929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 05:28 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

That thermostat has a heat pump function and an approved Energy Star program. They also say if that doesn't work for you they can provide a custom program. This however doesn't have all possible features, to do that it would need an outdoor air sensor. So I am not sure of what you want?
H. Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 05:44 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Phillips View Post
That thermostat has a heat pump function and an approved Energy Star program. They also say if that doesn't work for you they can provide a custom program. This however doesn't have all possible features, to do that it would need an outdoor air sensor. So I am not sure of what you want?
Unfortunately I'm learning more than I ever wanted about heat-pumps and thermostats. I was attempting to replace an old Honeywell that has something called "adaptive intelligent recovery". It's a twenty year old unit. I wanted something from the 21st century would certainly have this type technology and more (ie seven day programmable which the old Honeywell unit was not). But no luck. The old Honeywell will run the compressor as much as possible before switching to Aux. The new one simply kicks right into Aux at the set time (which is very inefficient). I went by Lowes and looked at everything they had (pulled the booklets out, etc) and nothing seems to have the "intelligent recovery" technology (at least they don't advertise it). So I'm throwing up my hands for now, re-installing the Honeywell and giving the other one to someone who has gas heat.
mow2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 06:10 PM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 3,600

Honeywell IAQ(YTH9421) has 7 day programming. Has Adaptive Intelligent recovery. Can also use an outdoor thermostat to lock out heat strips. And can be set to lock out the heat strips until the outdoor temps drop to X degrees(scan be set as low as 5F), requires outdoor sensor for this feature.

Honeywell TH8321 has 7 day programming. Has Adaptive Intelligent recovery. Can also use an outdoor thermostat to lock out heat strips. And can be set to lock out the heat strips until the outdoor temps drop to X degrees(scan be set as low as 40F), requires outdoor sensor for this feature.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 06:17 PM   #6

I know what you mean. A coupe years ago I installed a Honeywell RTH7000 for my heat pump. IT is energy star and 7 day programable. I love it except for the fact that when you or the preprogram turns on the heat and if the set temp is 3* or more higher than the current temp the aux will kick on. The aux however will stop when the temp gets withen 3 degrees of set temp. An hvac buddy of mine says he can install (in addition to my T-stat) a controll with an outside air temp sensor that will not let the aux kick in unless there is greater temp differnce. By the way Heap pumps are not very effecient when outside temp is below 20-30* anyway. They dont use them much up north.
ididit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 06:34 PM   #7
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ididit View Post
By the way Heap pumps are not very effecient when outside temp is below 20-30* anyway. They dont use them much up north.
They use them in the north parts of the USA, and in Canada.

How far up North before they don't use them?

At 20F, most newer heat pumps are 2 plus times as efficient as electric resistance heat.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:10 PM   #8

I can rub 2 sticks together and be more efficient than electric resistance It seams that below 25*(not often) my heat pump is only running on aux (electric resistance) and my house is small and well insulated. H.P. is Train. I ment that I hear gas or oil furnaces are more popular in the north than heat pumps and A.C. is not as important. As part of the weatherization program we are constantly swaping out E.R. for H.P. IF they have gas we either clean and tune them or replace with new.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:19 PM   #9
An old Tradesmen

What model Trane heat pump, and how old is it.

I have dual fuel systems, that the heat pump is providing all the heat down to 20F. And below that it switches to gas.
Have some that don't switch over at any predetermined outdoor temp. When the indoor temp drops 2 degrees. It switches the gas furnace. But uses the heat first for every heat call, even when its 0 outside. They use a lot less gas that way. And have very low heating bills.

Some places has electric aux heat. And its cheaper to use the heat pump with the electric aux then a gas furnace would be, even at 0F.

If your heat pump is shutting off. And your only using electric resistance heat. Its probably not set up right. Or you have a 20 year old heat pump, that isn't efficient.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:25 PM   #10

Heat pump is 6 years old, dont know the model. Im second owner of house.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:27 PM   #11
An old Tradesmen

Go out and look.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:57 PM   #12

Acually its american standard who is part of the trane company or visa versa, dont know. Heat pump is not cutting off I dont think. Just aux seems to take longer than it should to bring the temp up. May be something wrong with the strips. They are running. I can hear the buz comming from the atic like always.It has been colder the last couple weeks than Its been since Ive lived here. High 35 low 16 2 weeks straight. Not normal for here. Raining cats and dogs right now and im about to go out for dinner, talk later.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:05 PM   #13
An old Tradesmen

May be they didn't put enough strip in to handle the colder then normal weather you are having.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:43 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Honeywell IAQ(YTH9421) has 7 day programming. Has Adaptive Intelligent recovery. Can also use an outdoor thermostat to lock out heat strips. And can be set to lock out the heat strips until the outdoor temps drop to X degrees(scan be set as low as 5F), requires outdoor sensor for this feature.

Honeywell TH8321 has 7 day programming. Has Adaptive Intelligent recovery. Can also use an outdoor thermostat to lock out heat strips. And can be set to lock out the heat strips until the outdoor temps drop to X degrees(scan be set as low as 40F), requires outdoor sensor for this feature.
Unfortunately, I think the definition of "Adaptive"/"Intelligent" Recovery has changed in recent years. Back 25 years ago when it was introduced by Honeywell for heatpumps, "Intelligent Recovery" meant the thermostat didn't kick in W2 (heat strips) when a setback was increased by 3 degrees or more (otherwise you would loose the savings of a setback thermostat). Today it appears to simply mean the thermostat increases the temperature 20-30 minutes earlier so that the setpoint is reached at the set time. Here is the definition of Honeywell's "Adaptive Intelligent Recovery" for the 8321 thermostat:

0530 Adaptive Intelligent Recovery.
1. Adaptive Intelligent Recovery activated (system starts early so setpoint is reached by start of program period).
0. Conventional Recovery (system starts recovery at programmed time)

I didn't see anything about delaying the onset of backup heat - the only thing that I can think of that would accomplish this with modern-day thermostats is a "Slow Second Stage" setting (as used on White Rodgers "Big Blue" thermostats). I don't see such a setting on the Honeywell (?)
sktn77a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:50 PM   #15
An old Tradesmen

The ones I listed will keep the aux out for a while. Then bring it on if they aren't recovering quick enough.
They will also cycle it on and off during recovery. Checking on recovery progress as they cycle it.
its a part of the P+I control function.