Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-15-2012, 04:38 AM   #1

Share |

Dust Issue in Warehouse home.

We bought a 60 year old (dusty) 16,000 sqft warehouse and built a 4,000 sqft home inside. There is considerable dust residue on the bar joists and floor area. We have swept and vacuumed, but some residue remains.

Inside the dwelling we have a continual dust problem. Noticeable film forms within 24 hours of cleaning.

We have a 5 ton heat pump for the main dwelling and a 2 ton for the master bedroom. I have installed five inch thick filters.

We have weatherstripped the doors (no windows) and sealed everywhere we can find. I do have rescessed ceiling light fixtures and blown insulation above. Some may be leaking slighthly, but I don't see any streaks.

Supply grills do collect dust as do the filters.

I have heard that gaining a positive aire pressure inside will help, but don't know exactly how to go about doing this. I am a General Contractor and have an EPA license. I understand the basics of HVAC installation and maintenanace.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Dollar Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:43 AM   #2
I'm Your Huckleberry

Where's the blower (furnace) located?

Old 06-15-2012, 07:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
Where's the blower (furnace) located?
The blower for the furnace is located on the top of the ceiling joists for the house, inside the warehouse. We have ten foot ceilings and the roof deck is at 19 feet.

We have a small vent hood and bathroom fan that exhaust into the main warehouse.

We have no air make-up unit. I think this would help to maintain a slight negative pressure inside the dwelling, but don't know exactly how and where to put one. I could have the MUA access the warehouse or the outside air.

Perhaps two MUA? The air inside the warehouse is quite hot in summer, outside temps are lower. Maybe I should access the outside air in summer and the inside warehouse air in winter to las less strain on my HVAC system trying to heat or cool air from outside the dwelling?

I suspect the air in the house is about neutral, but really don't know. Is there some way to tell if there is negative air pressure that could be sucking in air from outside?
Old 06-15-2012, 08:17 AM   #4
I'm Your Huckleberry

Can you exhaust the bathroom fan through the exterior wall of the building? I'd be willing to bet there's a return air leak somewhere on the system, such as at the furnce.

I installed a 7.5 ton air handler in pretty much the exact same (smaller) set up you have, a three bedroom residential dwelling inside of a 3 story plastics recycling warehouse, up on the third level. The unit sits directly on top of the dwelling with the unit on top of the roof of the dwelling but inside of the warehouse as well as all duct work being inside of the warehouse, on top of the roof of the "house". Warehouse is very dirty but not the dwelling.

I foam sealed all duct penetrations into the roof, exhaust the bathroom exhaust fans out through the exterior wall versus simply up and into the warehouse and mastik seal all duct connections, paying special attention to the returns as that is where dirt will be sucked into the system and distributed throughout the dwelling.

No dirt. Two years and counting.

Check your return ducts.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Can you exhaust the bathroom fan through the exterior wall of the building? I'd be willing to bet there's a return air leak somewhere on the system, such as at the furnce.

Check your return ducts.
Will exhaust the bath through the exterior wall and get on sealing the returns. However wouldn't the furnace filters catch most of the dust if it cam from return leaks? The filter drawer look well sealed, but I can double check this.

The filters don't clog very quickly.

It would seem that there would have to be a leak between the return plenum and the furnace, possibly on both furnaces. Will get out the mastic and see if I can find anything.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:13 AM   #6
I'm Your Huckleberry

Can you take some pictures of the unit and post them, of all the return ducts (where it attaches to the unit especially), the service doors of the unit, the penetrations through the roof of the dwelling, etc?
Old 06-17-2012, 02:07 PM   #7
I'm Your Huckleberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollar Bill View Post
.. However wouldn't the furnace filters catch most of the dust if it cam from return leaks? The filter drawer look well sealed, but I can double check this.

The filters don't clog very quickly.

Depends where the filter is located versus the leak. If the filter is on a register inside of the dwelling and the leak is at the unit then most definitely not.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Depends where the filter is located versus the leak. If the filter is on a register inside of the dwelling and the leak is at the unit then most definitely not.
Yeah, mine are at the unit.

Tags
dust free, filtration, pressure