Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-03-2008, 01:03 PM   #1
newer than a newbie...

Rewards Points: 75

ductwork leading to no where?

Hi All.

We have lived in a house for 4 years now, and it is a 10 year old house. Overall a good place, but unfortunately the builders did not properly insulate above the porch and garage.

The fact is, that the ducts/vents take a good 5-10 minutes to warm up before even delivering warm air in the winter (the ducts are pretty much cold without insulation.

However, I recently looked in the basement and where the HVAC ducts split off, I counted that there are at least 6 separate ducts that lead to rooms upstairs. Most of these travel through 'dead space' which I cannot see. However, I have counted that upstairs there are only 4 ducts that are actually pushing air out - 3 bedrooms and 1 washroom. Can anyone explain why there would be at least 2 duct runs that potentially lead to nothing? This might explain why this section of the upstairs has cold air - 2 duct runs might be blowing air and wasting heat.

I was considering doing a trial/error and blocking off each vent one by one and seeing the impact on the 4 rooms upstairs - the blocked vents that wouldn't impact a room, I would block off at the source.

Does anyone have any ideas on this?

mcvane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 02:08 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

do as you say and one at a time block off or close off the damper to each supply in the basement and trace witch room it handles. write this in pencil on that supply in the basement and so on and so fourth. once you have things mapped out. you will have to call in a pro to locate it for you. and generaly look over the whole system.dont forget to open all supplys back on

coolmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 04:16 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,226

Returns?
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 05:34 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

You should be able to remove the grill in each room and look down inside the duct.

Or you should be able to disconnect the duct in the basement and look inside to see where it goes. If it is a straight run.

There should be some "return" lines.
redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 02:25 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

Builders don't run ductwork to nowhere.

It's possible some ductwork was installed but the grill locations were sheetrocked over. Is your home a carbon copy of others in your neighborhood? Maybe a neighbor has the same model and has grilles that you don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvane View Post
Hi All.

We have lived in a house for 4 years now, and it is a 10 year old house. Overall a good place, but unfortunately the builders did not properly insulate above the porch and garage.

The fact is, that the ducts/vents take a good 5-10 minutes to warm up before even delivering warm air in the winter (the ducts are pretty much cold without insulation.

However, I recently looked in the basement and where the HVAC ducts split off, I counted that there are at least 6 separate ducts that lead to rooms upstairs. Most of these travel through 'dead space' which I cannot see. However, I have counted that upstairs there are only 4 ducts that are actually pushing air out - 3 bedrooms and 1 washroom. Can anyone explain why there would be at least 2 duct runs that potentially lead to nothing? This might explain why this section of the upstairs has cold air - 2 duct runs might be blowing air and wasting heat.

I was considering doing a trial/error and blocking off each vent one by one and seeing the impact on the 4 rooms upstairs - the blocked vents that wouldn't impact a room, I would block off at the source.

Does anyone have any ideas on this?
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote