Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-15-2009, 01:22 PM   #1

Share |

Ductwork Around Center Beam

We are installing our HVAC ductwork and I want to get some opinions on the best way to work around the center beam in our basement. The center beam is about 20" tall and the main trunk line will go on the East side of the center beam. Then we have 3 6" ducts we need to connect to the truck that are on the West side of the center beam. Is there any problems if we run the West side ducts to the center beam then drop them down about 24" (or enough to clear the center beam) and then go back up on the other side of the center beam to the main trunk line? Will this 24" drop and raise hurt the efficiency of the system?

Anybody have any other ideas how to work around this center beam and maintain an efficient system?

Here is a picture of one of the West side ducts we need to connect to the trunk which will be on the other side of the center beam shown in the picture. Also is a picture of the center beam will must work around.

Build is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:41 PM   #2

You could run the duct the way you are suggesting but use as few elbows as possible because it will cut down your airflow quite a bit.
I suggest, if its feasible, cutting out the joist space above the beam enough to get the runs through.

SKIP4661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:59 PM   #3

When you say the "joist space above the beam" you mean the board at the end of the floor joist right (the board perpendicular to the floor joist)?

Is that an option? That board is a 2" x 10" and I know if it was an actual floor joist that would not be an option b/c a 6" hole in a 10" board is a definite no-no.

The red cirle marks the hole right?

Last edited by Build; 06-15-2009 at 02:05 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:05 PM   #4

If that 2 by 10 is supported by the center beam, which it appears to be, it shouldn't be a problem to cut out the joist space.
Yes the red spot would be ideal.

Last edited by SKIP4661; 06-15-2009 at 02:07 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:12 PM   #5

I agree that would be the ideal way. I just did not think that was an option. There is another 2" x 10" on the other so we would actually have to cut through two 2" x 10"s. That would take a bit of work but is very doable and would definitely be the ideal route for the ducts.

Is there any codes or regulations regarding cuts like that? I know when it comes to floor joists there are certain requirements that must be followed.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:08 PM   #6

You could check with your local building inspector, he would know for sure.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:56 AM   #7

You could come out of the trunk line end cap with round and run it to the end of the basement go under then back up and run tight to the ceiling down the side that way you would not be cutting any supports and will still maintain your flow and the only low spot would be the end of the basement you could box out.

Another way is to transition to oval duct to cut down on the hole height giving you more strength, I would also cut blocks to fit next to the hole to give more support to the beam you are cutting.

SULTINI is offline   Reply With Quote