Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-29-2013, 09:53 AM   #1

Share |

ductwork

This is my first time posting. My ductwork needs replacing and the dilemma is that the majority of the repair services prefer to do it in the winter, due to Florida weather. I am getting a new ac unit and handler this week and was told that it shouldn't be a problem to wait 2-3 months to replace. Will the outdated and damaged ductwork be ok with the new unit until then. The new unit will be the same size.

lutzred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:15 AM   #2
I'm Your Huckleberry

ductwork

all residential hvac systems (non heat pump) push on average 400 Cubic Feet per Minute of air through the ducts so let's say you have a 4 ton system, that's 1600 cfm. If the original duct work was sized correctly to the old system and the new system is the exact same size than sure, you'll be fine, you just may not be getting all of the air into your living space if your ducts are leaking and torn.

BTW, measure your return air grill or find out what size it is.

Example: 20 x 25 return air grill (where your filter is) equates to 20 multiplied by 25 equaling 500 square inches of surface area. Now divide that 500 by 244 equaling 2.049..... That means a 20 x 25 return air grill is only big enough for a 2 ton system. If that is all you have on a bigger than a 2 ton system than your system is choking, not enough return air.

Just a heads up.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:28 AM   #3

ductwork

Thanks. I am a widow as of last year so any advice is great. I do not want to get scammed so this forum is great.
lutzred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:35 PM   #4

ductwork

Did they say why the ductwork needed to be replaced? If there is damage, how did it get damaged? If they are outdated, what is outdated about them? Are you able to post some pictures of the ductwork? It just seems strange to have to replace ductwork out of the blue.

Have you had a second opinion? If not, maybe you should get one.

"Human beings can always be relied upon to assert, with vigor, their God-given right to be stupid"
Dean Koontz - Seize The Night
FClef is offline   Reply With Quote