Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-20-2012, 06:38 AM   #1

Share |

Ductless Unit Placement Questions

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Mitsubishi Ductless system for our kitchen/living room area (all total about ~900 sq.ft). I had the local Mitsubishi dealer come out and give me an estimate and recommendations for my situation, and here are my possible options.

First, the floor plan. The orange is the main level where the unit(s) will be placed. It's a tri-level home. The blue arrows show suggested placement of the units. One solution was one large 24K BTU unit placed on the wall in the dining room. The other was to do a split unit (9K one and 12K on the other) in the two blue arrowed locations. Problem with this solution is there is a set of kitchen cabinets that come out right above where "18" is marked on the diagram which blocks movement of air into the rest of the kitchen. We can't place any units on the 20' wall due to height limitations between the ceiling and windows (this would be the ideal situation).

So, what is everyone's recommendation here? Two splits to cover the area more thoroughly with less overall BTUs (21K vs. 24K), or one larger, more centrally located unit (24K)?
mgh-pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:02 AM   #2
HOTDAWG

Whats wrong with the living room wall? Ideally I would have put a larger unit there, so that its a straight shot down to the end and a smaller unit off the family room. The only thing you really have to watch is, you don't want the air hitting a wall and bouncing back to the unit, turning it on and off.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Acomfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:26 AM   #3

might consider a unit that handles 3 evaporators with one condenser or even ceiling mounted evaps.forget the dinning room family room is the main family area used and locate the evap right opposite that FAMILY word on that wall,so it catches some of the kitchen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:40 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acomfort View Post
Whats wrong with the living room wall? Ideally I would have put a larger unit there, so that its a straight shot down to the end and a smaller unit off the family room. The only thing you really have to watch is, you don't want the air hitting a wall and bouncing back to the unit, turning it on and off.
Nothing is wrong with the living room wall except window clearance as well. The labels are from an old floorplan, and those rooms aren't really labeled correctly. The living room is now a gym, the "dining" room is just a small foyer off the garage entrance, and the family room is basically the kitchen with a couch and a love seat in that far corner. The main family room is actually on the bottom floor.

The two walls in the kitchen (upper left, and top labeled "20") are basically mostly windows (swing outs), so the clearance issue prevents putting the unit on either of those walls. I'm VERY limited in this layout, and I don't want to drop a lot of money on this only to not have it work.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:58 AM   #5

Just as an update, here is a layout of the room via poorly lit cellphone images :D

Dining room wall indicated on the floorplan above:

This is the wall on the other side of the above picture which is essentially the top left side wall on the floorplan:

This is the 20' labeled wall:

And here is the wall where he mentioned putting another unit (tucked behind the kitchen cabinets (where the other blue unit is labeled on the above floorplan):

Old 09-21-2012, 01:41 PM   #6

Based on my experience as a runner with a treadmill at home, you will want your exercise area running a little bit cooler than the regular living areas. For that reason, you may want a separate zone for that room. I would put the other unit in the family room exact opposite the spot you have indicated if you have the wall space. That I think would get good cooling distribution to the kitchen as well, where you will have lots of heat generated. The big thing I wanted to mention though was keeping the gym room cool both summer and winter!
av-geek is offline   Reply With Quote