Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-12-2010, 07:02 PM   #1
BFR

Rewards Points: 10

Ductless Mini-Split Opinions

I am remodeling a place out in the country (pretty remote) and am considering using one or more ductless mini-split systems, probably heat pumps, would make it a lot easier because of the difficulty in running ducts. It's a pretty big house and much of time would not be fully occupied so the idea of multiple, independently controlled zones is attractive.

I'd like to tap into the pros on the forum for their collective professional wisdom on choosing such a system as well as any non-pros with actual experience. Questions are:
  1. Generally, how dependable are the systems compared to a conventional split system?
  2. Considering the closest town is 30 miles away and has less than 20,000 people, is a ductless mini-split system likely to be unusual enough as to make it a bad choice (i.e., not enough knowledgeable repair techs/installers)?
  3. What brands are better, both in terms of installed base from a repair/parts perspective and in terms of original quality? (If giving opinons/recommendations as to specific makers is a forum no-no - please disregard this question and forgive me.)
  4. Once the warranty expires, I'm likely to have to work on the system myself because of distance, etc. In that context, which manufacturers are the most friendly toward diy'ers and have the best lay support in terms of repair manuals, etc. My brief experience has shown me that Lennox is a lot more amateur friendly than is Trane in terms of diagnosing problems, repair manuals, determining part numbers, etc.
BFR

BFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 07:14 PM   #2
AKA HVACTECHFW

Rewards Points: 1,022

DON'T BUY LG......BAD WARRANTY, BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE, BAD PRODUCTS ............. This has been my experience so far with them

Old 12-12-2010, 07:30 PM   #3
BFR

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks, just the kind of information I want. What do you think of Mitsubishi, just about all of them I've seen here in Austin, TX, are from that manufacturer and they seem to have the most alternatives in terms of locations, # of zones per outdoor unit, ducting options, venting options, etc.
BFR
BFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:09 PM   #4
AKA HVACTECHFW

Rewards Points: 1,022

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFR View Post
Thanks, just the kind of information I want. What do you think of Mitsubishi, just about all of them I've seen here in Austin, TX, are from that manufacturer and they seem to have the most alternatives in terms of locations, # of zones per outdoor unit, ducting options, venting options, etc.
BFR
I've had a lot better luck w/ Mitsu (Mr. Slim)
Old 12-13-2010, 05:15 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvactech126

I've had a lot better luck w/ Mitsu (Mr. Slim)
Lg sucks don't buy we installed 100 of them in a school had nothing but problems Mr. Slim great system.
Hixheat1 is offline   Reply With Quote