Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-08-2010, 02:46 PM   #1

Share |

Ductless Mini Split Install - need HVAC Tech!

I'm putting in a single zone mini split system in a mountain house on the TN/GA line, and I've been trying to get a licensed HVAC tech to do the final steps of the install (nitrogen pressure test and vacuuming the lines) as I don't have the equipment/experience for that part. Problem is, I can't find anyone to do it! Tried calling a few HVAC repair places and posting requests for an HVAC tech on craigslist, but no takers or no experience.

I know this is a DIY forum, but can anyone recommend someone in the Chattanooga or Atlanta area? Or maybe even a suggestion on HOW to find a qualified tech. Without a licensed HVAC Tech to sign off on the install, I lose out on the mfr equipment warranty.

Much thanks!
Mike

mike_30319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:03 PM   #2

Hate to say it Mike, but good luck. You bought the equiptment and installed it. Only thing you can't do is what us tech's can. So you took the mark up out of the parts and the labor. Now you want someone to come on for a few bucks to finish it with their name on it for warrenty

Don't know of anyone who would put their company name on a warrenty card if they didn't install it.

newtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:16 PM   #3

thx for the reply...two questions.

1) what if i had the tech do the full install? would i have any better luck finding someone willing to do it, or would that just put me back up to crazy high quote i originally received? (4x cost of unit+supplies i purchased online!!). I'm willing to pay for labor, not outrageous markups on materials.

2) would a tech be more willing to do it if he didn't have to sign a warranty card? i don't really understand how the whoe HVAC licensing part works...a tech can't be independent of a company?

my other option is to go buy the various equipment and do the pressure testing and vacuuming myself (it doesn't look terribly complicated), but that's likely to cost several hundred just for the tools.

thanks for any feedback / suggestions...
mike
Old 12-08-2010, 04:56 PM   #4

First off, YOU bought the parts. Now the warrenty of said parts is in your hands. If a contractor or a tech was to sign off on it, then they are taking on the warrenty.

Let's say you bought a xyz model with an abc serial number. Since I signed off on the warrenty paper and I din't buy it from the local dist, chances are that they will not warrent the part. ( All serial numbers are logged as to where they are sold )

So if you paid the (big bucks) as you call it, all warrenty would be covered by the installing Co.

Sure any qualified tech can finish the job. Just don't ask them to sign off on it. You might get better luck. But you will loose your warrenty.

Part of our mark-up is for warrenty,tools,gas,insurance....... It keeps going

Again like I said, good luck...
newtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 05:20 PM   #5

Try calling around again about the end of Jan. Mike. It starts to slow down in another month to month and a half and I'm sure someone will have a half day open for your project then.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:07 PM   #6

you wanna pay for my travel? lol
hvac kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:09 PM   #7

After weeks of searching, I think I found a guy today, and he's even willing to sign off on the warranty piece of it (after he talks with the manufacturer about the unit). i'll let y'all know how it goes, but here's to hoping
Old 12-09-2010, 04:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtech View Post
Hate to say it Mike, but good luck. You bought the equiptment and installed it. Only thing you can't do is what us tech's can. So you took the mark up out of the parts and the labor. Now you want someone to come on for a few bucks to finish it with their name on it for warrenty

Don't know of anyone who would put their company name on a warrenty card if they didn't install it.
Mike gets the both half warranty, WARRANTY- If it breaks in half you (Mike) get to keep both half's.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 04:42 PM   #9
BFR

Considering that you saved 3/4's of the overall cost (not counting your labor, of course), maybe the lack of a warranty is worth what you saved. Sounds like you could replace the entire system 3 times at your cost without spending any more than it would have cost to have a full-price, full warranty, vendor do it. What are the odds (assuming your amateur work is not the cause of the failure) that the system is so unreliable as to fail three times during what would have otherwise been the warranty period? Just a thought; of course, the above analysis is not valid if you overstated your savings.
BFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:51 AM   #10

Question

newtech -- thanks for giving us the pro perspective. i thought that warranty costs are covered by the mfr, not the installer. is this different in the case of HVAC stuff? also, can you shed some light on why the pro install price is so high? is it because mini-splits are still kinda new in the US?

mike, how did your install work out? are you happy with how the system is performing?
lesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:30 AM   #11

lesp I will answer also. The manufacture does provide the warranty if, I say if a certified licensed HVAC mechanic installs it. It's not like buying a TV taking it home and plugging it in.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:09 PM   #12

Only the parts are covered by mfr. They do not cover labor, that's on the installing company.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:16 PM   #13

Interesting -- so the installer can get really slammed if the mfr doesn't have a good product. And essentially, the potential future repair costs are passed on to the homeowner up front? Any recommendations on which brands have the best track record for not being trouble-prone?
lesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:18 AM   #14

Most brands today are good it's the installation that's important.