Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-11-2012, 10:26 PM   #1
Green Hat

Share |

Ductless mini split.....

Hey guys, looking to have a mini split put in my basement as it will be the most efficient system for the area that I am trying to heat and cool.

The two companies that have given me quotes recommend a 12-15000 BTU system, with a single air sending unit.

The issue is, is that both companies are looking at charging in the neighborhood of 4K for the system and all. Thats a little out of my budget as of right now, however I like the service aspects of one of the companies that I am considering, being that they offer 10 year parts, service...........at no cost to the customer.

Can't beat that in my opinion.

The long and the short of it is that they are recommending a Mitsubishi Mr. Slim or the Daikin.

I have heard good things about the LG's, however I have heard from most that those two listed above are the best.

Just looking to get a little feedback in regards to what other units some of the pros have worked with that may save me a little bit of coin. By no means am I trying to go dirt cheap on this, however I would like to do a little better that 3500-4000$ on the system.

Thanks!

Mills314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:57 PM   #2

Ductless mini split.....

Seems high, but I complain about the price of everything. But there are so many variables. How much electrical work needs to be done, any installation problems, construction issues. There is a lot to consider. But FYI the 12,000 BTU system from Mitsubishi can be bought online for about $1500....plus shipping. So that's about what your contractor will pay for it. Now....add the labor for 2 guys for one day, an electrician and I can see how costs add up. And nobody works for free. You can shop around, but a reputable contractor and a good warranty is hard to beat...and basically priceless. (it says that on my business card )

Old 03-12-2012, 06:52 AM   #3

Ductless mini split.....

That price is right on the money for those two systems. Both are great systems. Might I suggest you also look into the Samsung. Whatever kind you go with,m make sure it has an inverter.
Patrick Eubanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:47 AM   #4
Green Hat

Ductless mini split.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Eubanks View Post
That price is right on the money for those two systems. Both are great systems. Might I suggest you also look into the Samsung. Whatever kind you go with,m make sure it has an inverter.
Thats exactly what I have been told. I will look into the Samsung and maybe an LG. Basically, the company I want to deal with won't install junk, due to their warranty.

I wouldn't want to warranty something that may be a lemon with a 10 year warranty either.
Mills314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:46 AM   #5

Ductless mini split.....

I would probably steer clear of the LG. They have had an ongoing problem with thier coil sensors.
Patrick Eubanks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Patrick Eubanks For This Useful Post:
hvactech126 (03-12-2012)
Old 03-12-2012, 02:52 PM   #6
REP

Ductless mini split.....

I have no experience with the Daikin,but I do with the Mitsubishi.
The thing I as a contractor look for is factory support and having servie parts at the ready.I had excellent results with the Mitsubishi,and with Sanyo.
If you have to order parts from out of town then there is the risk of misunderstandings and not getting the part you actually need.Thats why I delt with local suppliers who supported their products.There is nothing as frustrating as having to order the part 3-4 times from some outlet that doesn't know any more than the part number.

REP is offline   Reply With Quote