Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-10-2008, 12:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Ducting tips

I have to fit to pieces of ductwork for two new bathroom fans installed at the weekend. One is in the attic, should it vent out of the side of the house or the roof itself. The other is in the basement bathroom and this means I have to remove my ceiling to fit the ductwork and then my only option is to vent out of the house.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:06 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Ducting tips

I always get a little concerned when disturbing shingles as you could cause a leak if not done right. I would recommend venting to the side if possible.

Don't forget to use insulated duct work with as few sags as possible to prevent condensation and it pooling.

dac122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 01:47 AM   #3

Ducting tips

I have decided to duct out of the side of the house and not the roof, I too do not want to mess with the roof.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:02 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,012

Ducting tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge22 View Post
I have to fit to pieces of ductwork for two new bathroom fans installed at the weekend. One is in the attic, should it vent out of the side of the house or the roof itself. The other is in the basement bathroom and this means I have to remove my ceiling to fit the ductwork and then my only option is to vent out of the house.
For the one in the attic, vent to the side of the house. Also, ensure that it's pitched downward so that any condensation won't flow back to the fan.

It's probably not good practice, but a lot of builders vent to the soffit. this way, you won't have to worry about getting on a ladder on the side of the house and installing the cover.

For the fan in the basement, yes, your only option is out of the house.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:44 AM   #5
Another DIY Zombie

Rewards Points: 250

Ducting tips

I have to laugh when reading this thread..

In two previous houses I have lived in, the P.O. had bathroom exhaust fans installed and they all just vented to the attic. On the last house I had to replace the roof (shingles and sheathing). The original roof was from the late 70's and this was back in 2000. They say that 30 years is good for shingles, but IMHO, the sheathing should not need to be replaced. I replaced about 70-80% of the sheating due to rot from the underside. Did not know at the time that the culprit was most likely the poorly installed bathroom exhaust fans.....

FYI, I also agree with the wall vent whereever possible since it is usually easier to access and you do not have to deal with snow or debris clogging the outlet.
javan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 12:19 AM   #6

Ducting tips

I have already installed the basement extractor with the help of a friend, it was not too difficult and we have re drywalled the ceiling where we had to cut it away. I was going to do the attic on Monday as its alot easier, then I realised my stepladders are way too small to reach up to my attic, so I will be buying some more.