Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-10-2012, 03:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Ducting 2 story house

Hello! We have an old farm house we want to put central h&a in. We have the unit(s) and ducting, just don't know how to start with the ducting. Is there a DIY book, video, etc that would help us in knowing how to run the ducting? My husband is a carpenter and has always left the HVAC to the pros but this is our house and we feel we should be able to do this on our own....

Sherrifeely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:46 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Ducting 2 story house

I am sorry if this may sound harsh, but somethings are not ment to be done by homeowner. This is also compounded by the fact it sounds as if you want to do a 2 level home with one unit. this can be done but requires even more skill to do correctly.

Most contractor who design systems will spend either many years in the field and many years in training to achive this level of skill.

As far as a manual start with modern refrigeration and air conditioning. this is the text book that at least when I was learning was used to teach the trade. I think that was the title, I loaned mine many years ago to one of my many apprentices one to many times and never got it back.

At the very least if your husband is a carpenter he must of worked with someone in the HVAC trade before. See if they can, for a fee design it for you and guide you through the install.

turnermech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:47 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 260

Ducting 2 story house

yes, lots of info out there.. but the bottom line is that to design the ducts, you must do a manual j first, to detirme the size of the hvac system (3 ton, 4 ton, etc) as each have a different duct flow rate(s). This will also help you to know what size ducts and returns to put in each room etc... its basically a system that figures out how much heat load a given room, with all of its variables plugged in, needs for cooling and heating.

after that I think a manual d would help you in the duct design... Both these are professional products and take a boat load of time to gather info for, but when its done, you will have a great system.

also keep a sharp eye on flex duct (99.9 percent of the time its installed wrong) and duct sealing also!!!!!!!!!!!!

good luck and it can be done!!!!
bobinphx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:59 PM   #4
HOTDAWG

Rewards Points: 75

Ducting 2 story house

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnermech View Post
I am sorry if this may sound harsh, but somethings are not ment to be done by homeowner. This is also compounded by the fact it sounds as if you want to do a 2 level home with one unit. this can be done but requires even more skill to do correctly.

Most contractor who design systems will spend either many years in the field and many years in training to achive this level of skill.

As far as a manual start with modern refrigeration and air conditioning. this is the text book that at least when I was learning was used to teach the trade. I think that was the title, I loaned mine many years ago to one of my many apprentices one to many times and never got it back.

At the very least if your husband is a carpenter he must of worked with someone in the HVAC trade before. See if they can, for a fee design it for you and guide you through the install.
I agree, if your duct work isn't done properly right off the bat, your going to regret it and be paying for it down the road... there are even a lot of hvac techs out there that don't do things as right as they should... and they do it for a living, so I would suggest biting the bullet and paying a pro
Old 08-10-2012, 06:07 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 4,076

Ducting 2 story house

Since this is going to be a retro fit your husband is going to have plenty to do fixing all the holes and boxing in all the exposed duct work left by the real HVAC guys.

Are you planing on using a used unit? Odd that you already have the ducts and unit on hand.
Highly unliky most of it will be used if it's something that came out of another home.
I may have just misread your post, happens all the time.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote