Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-02-2009, 09:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Duct Work in Basement

I'm just starting a project to finish off my basement and have a couple of questions on the duct work. I have forced air furnace with central AC and the house is a 2 story house in Michigan with almost equal sq footage on the 1st and 2nd floors. Currently I keep adjusting my dampers depending on the time of year. One setting for Summer (when AC On) and a different in the winter (when Heat On). I'm sure this is not correct. How can I get it adjusted so that once I enclose the ceiling this will not be an issue?

Also, second question is about adding duct work in the basement. I have heard some people say the cold air returns should be placed at the floor and the register vent in the ceiling and then other have it the other way around. What is the best and recommended way? and why?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Handyman001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Duct Work in Basement

With out a zone system you will always need to adjust dampers. It would help if you ran the furnace fan all the time but that gets expensive. To be honest with you it does not matter where the returns are at as long as you have them- maybe on the interior of the basement- wash the outside walls with the supply runs so the tempered air will combine with the infiltration. Also dont go overboard with supply runs and use larger registers. If you have a lay-in ceiling use 24 x 24 grilles with a 6" dia. neck

Good luck

mbruckman is offline   Reply With Quote