Duct/Vent Dripping Water When It Rains? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-01-2009, 02:25 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Duct/Vent dripping water when it rains?

Hi all!
I am a brand new homeowner and subsequently a very unknowledgeable handyman.
I noticed that a vent connected to our water heater and furnace was dripping when it was raining. This has happened both times that it has rained. I don't know what this particular duct does - perhaps someone can explain? I also do not know where it connects to through the ceiling.
The drip is coming down the side of the vent, not through it, all the way from where it connects to the ceiling as far as I can see.
Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this and how I may be able to fix it? Thank you! I have attached pictures for reference.

-Cole

HERE ARE THE 2 PICTURES:
http://www.peytonventures.com/images...ing_water1.jpg
http://www.peytonventures.com/images...ing_water2.jpg

Advertisement

cmpeyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 09:18 AM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 728

That is the chimney for your furnace and water heater. Go up on the roof and check the flashing around it. May need some fresh/new roofing tar to seal it up better. Make sure the rain cap is on top.

Advertisement

yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 10:33 AM   #3
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,040

"I am a brand new homeowner and subsequently a very knowledgeable handyman." O.K., so you admit this when other won't, that's good. BUT-you can still do what yuri suggested, and I agree with him. Unless this is a multi-story home you can borrow or rent a ladder to go up and look. Take pictures up there, post them and we can help further on this. If this is a multi-story home and you are not comfortable with climbing up on the roof, find a licensed "Handyman" or "Roofing Contractor" to do this. Discuss pricing before they do any work, a competent contractor will do this, even if they have to make one trip up to see what is involved, IMO. Good Luck, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 10:42 AM   #4
Hvac Pro

Safety comes FIRST!!
I know of someone who died pushing snow off a roof in the winter. Better to pay a contractor couple hundred $$ than sit in a wheelchair for the rest of your life or worse.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:56 AM   #5

Thank you both for the suggestions. We have a tall 1 story (the laundry room is in the finished downstairs), and it is a fairly flat roof so I feel comfortable going up there. I do have the nimbleness of a 23 years of age as well. I'll bring my camera and take picture so you guys can maybe tell me exactly what the problem is. Thanks!

-Cole
Old 08-02-2009, 01:17 PM   #6

So I borrowed the neighbor's ladder and went up on the roof. The rain cap was on and looked good. It looked like it had been sealed around the bottom before but it was now cracked and peeling. Especially, in one place (pictured) there was definitely a crack for water to seep through - thinking that was the problem!

So I went to home depot and bought some flash and gutter caulk and a caulking gun. I caulked it I believe plenty around the edges. Please take a look at the before and after pictures and let me know if it looks right or if you see any other issues. Thanks!!!

-Cole

PICTURES:
http://www.peytonventures.com/images/chimney1.jpg
http://www.peytonventures.com/images/chimney2.jpg
http://www.peytonventures.com/images/chimney3.JPG
http://www.peytonventures.com/images/chimney4.JPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
That is the chimney for your furnace and water heater. Go up on the roof and check the flashing around it. May need some fresh/new roofing tar to seal it up better. Make sure the rain cap is on top.

Last edited by cmpeyton; 08-02-2009 at 01:19 PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:18 PM   #7
Hvac Pro

I would remove the old stuff on the shingles carefully with a wire brush and do that whole area where the chimney penetrates the shingles. Blackjack roofing tar in a can is better for the flashing where it attaches to the shingles. Silicone shrinks and deteriorates in the sun.

Advertisement

Last edited by yuri; 08-02-2009 at 02:27 PM.