DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

duct sizing

8K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  beenthere 
#1 ·
I am currently working on a home addition of just under 1200 sq ft finished. I had a HVAC person size the air and heat. I have about a 65000 btuh high efficiency gas furnace and a 2 1/2 ton air conditioner at 13 seer. I am using a duct calculator to set my duct sizes. I am trying to use standard size duct to avoid the cost of shop labor to make custom ducts. So I am trying to work backwords from the duct sizes to the CFM and Static pressure. I did HVAC for about twenty some years and did a little installation of HVAC. I need some help sorting out how to use the duct calculator.

I would apprecaite some feedback.

Stu

#3 ·
Thanks for the input. I have worked on this for several days and could not get a good answer. I even went to the local Junior college and bought a book on duct sizing and still had problems getting all the data.

Thanks again

Stu :thumbup:

#4 ·
I am currently working on a home addition of just under 1200 sq ft finished. I had a HVAC person size the air and heat. I have about a 65000 btuh high efficiency gas furnace and a 2 1/2 ton air conditioner at 13 seer. I am using a duct calculator to set my duct sizes. I am trying to use standard size duct to avoid the cost of shop labor to make custom ducts. So I am trying to work backwords from the duct sizes to the CFM and Static pressure. I did HVAC for about twenty some years and did a little installation of HVAC. I need some help sorting out how to use the duct calculator.

I would apprecaite some feedback.

Stu
I would def have went with 3 ton

#5 ·
That would cause high humidity problems, with that much of an over sized A/C. Doubt the OP needed more than 2 tons for the addition. Only 3 exposed walls.

Maybe the OP is still living in the same house that he was 14 years ago when he made this thread, and will tell us how well the 2.5 ton did.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.