Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-06-2009, 01:57 PM   #1
Project Addict

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

Duct clearance

I am remodeling my basement and am frustratingly (is that a word?) going through the building permit process. One of the city's requirements is that I provide a minimum of 6'-8" clearance beneath my furnace ducts. Most are right at or slightly above 6'-8". One length is shy by about 1-1/2 inches and they say it must be raised. I can probably force it upward about an inch, but doubt I can get the entire clearance required.

The piece in question manifolds to five smaller ducts for heated air supply. Can anyone suggest a practical way to increase the clearance beneath?

tjeieio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:44 AM   #2

Duct clearance

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjeieio View Post
I am remodeling my basement and am frustratingly (is that a word?) going through the building permit process. One of the city's requirements is that I provide a minimum of 6'-8" clearance beneath my furnace ducts. Most are right at or slightly above 6'-8". One length is shy by about 1-1/2 inches and they say it must be raised. I can probably force it upward about an inch, but doubt I can get the entire clearance required.

The piece in question manifolds to five smaller ducts for heated air supply. Can anyone suggest a practical way to increase the clearance beneath?
have a sit down with these inspectors and see what is their reasoning for these dimension rules & work it out if you're only talking inches? most insp. i've dealt with are amenable to a reasonable request. if not you can change the dimensions of the supply trunk as long as you retain the same capacity , but this will be VERY costly. mabe you can get a hvac guy in your area that knows these people to help u out. good luck on this prob.........Jack

Last edited by psilliman001; 07-09-2009 at 08:45 AM. Reason: spelling
psilliman001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:57 PM   #3
Project Addict

Duct clearance

Psilliman - thanks for the reply. I am currently getting a couple of HVAC bids to get a sense of what would be involved. I sent them photos and they both think they can do the job for around $200. We'll see... If it is too involved or expensive, I will do exactly what you suggest and hope for the best.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:10 PM   #4
Project Addict

Duct clearance

Well I had my sit down with the "Building Official" who would not budge on the clearance issue. He essentially told me to get adequate head clearance or the inspection would not be approved. I have had two quotes on getting the work done, both saying they thought it was sill to do this but were willing to remake the existing ducts for about $1,600. I really dont' have the tools/equipment to do this work myself but was wondering if duct board might be a viable solution. Anybody know where you can buy it? Lowes and Home Depot do not carry it. Also, can you replace existing sheet metal ducting with duct board with metal coming off either end?
Old 08-04-2009, 07:37 PM   #5

Duct clearance

Make sure it is code approved before you go through the effort of the duct board. Neather duct board or flex is allowed im my area.
JohnH1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clearance, duct, headroom, hvac