Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-30-2010, 09:47 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Ducane/Payne?

I decided to go to the HVAC association web site and find a certified contractor near me because I'm still getting mixed opinions on what furance I need. Yesterday I had a guy who was certified and he told me I can get by with a 120,000 btu 95% furance, 2 stage, but he said it would be wired as a single stage, also has a continuous motor. he sells DuCane and Payne which I never heard of, are these good units? he also sells Bryant. I'm finding out that it has less to do with the brand and more to do with who installs it. Hopefully I'l find the right person ....quotes are coming in from 6-9K....G

turbomangt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:53 AM   #2
HVAC / Plumbing

Ducane/Payne?

ducane is made by lennox . payne is a bryant /carrier brand

kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kenmac For This Useful Post:
turbomangt (09-30-2010)
Old 09-30-2010, 09:56 AM   #3

Ducane/Payne?

Is one better than the other>?
Old 09-30-2010, 12:37 PM   #4
HVAC / Plumbing

Ducane/Payne?

I would pick the bryant / ducane over the payne
kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 04:49 PM   #5
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 82

Ducane/Payne?

Carrier owns Bryant and Payne. Carrier is their top notch line, Bryant is VERY close in quality and Payne is their entry level brand and pretty good. Ducane is a cheaper Kia quality unit. Not even close to the other 3 IMO. AireFlo/Ducane is the same co. owned by Lennox. I have seen lots of all those units. Ducane works okay but can be noisier.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:14 PM   #6

Ducane/Payne?

turbomangt

You have me interested. I read your post and I take away from it the fact you are heavily relying upon the consul of the pros. In and of it self that is the route to take.

But let me ask you, have YOU come to any conclusion on what you want for your home? I don't mean brand. I mean the type of furnace.

The contractor who suggested using
120kbtu
furnace wired for only low fire is going to end up costing you a big gas bill. The staging is strictly a means of providing exceptional comfort not less gas usage.

How big is your home? What do you want from the system you choose.

Your expectations should be your tipping point at this far into the decision making process.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:40 PM   #7

Ducane/Payne?

Home is 3650 SF, my exsisting furance is 20 years old, time to update, I want the new one to at least heat as good as old one, plus save some gas money. I'm just getting tired of having guys over, want to get this done right sooner the better.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:22 PM   #8

Ducane/Payne?

Dude....we gave you our best....what is the problem?

Sorry I am going to bow out of this. You had some of the brightest stars of the industry giving you the best advice possible. You probably have over to Hvac Talk as well.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:24 PM   #9

Ducane/Payne?

Dude....we gave you our best....what is the problem?

Sorry I am going to bow out of this. You had some of the brightest stars of the industry giving you the best advice possible. You probably have over to Hvac Talk as well. http://www.diychatroom.com/f17/troub...01/#post501001
Old 09-30-2010, 06:29 PM   #10
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 82

Ducane/Payne?

We CANNOT help you if you don't do a heat load calculation and figure out what size you need. Not something we can do for you. Fishing around on the net won't solve anything if you don't do your homework. Or else you will have to interview more contractors until you find one who does the calculation and shows you the results on paper.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:43 PM   #11

Ducane/Payne?

Well here I go being my old cynical self again, but I can't help but feel the OP
is having a problem making a decision or he is a trol.

There..I said the "T" word. We have given this gent so much input and spent so much time with him I feel like he should pay our air fare down to Chicago
and give us the 6 or 9 grand for a the single furnace.

I even made arrangements for a local guy to contact him and yet here we are again.
I never heard of, are these good units? he also sells Bryant. I'm finding out that it has less to do with the brand and more to do with who installs it. Hopefully I'l find the right person ....quotes are coming in from 6-9K....G end quote

Six to nine grand for a single furnace??? Dude you are seriously raising some big time suspicions....
Old 10-01-2010, 07:11 AM   #12

Ducane/Payne?

First off I can;t believe I'm getting ridiculed for being honest, I never got treated like this on any of the other headings here on DYI Chat except for this one. Clover has told me this and I quote him
"Do not use a contractor who would use a two stage furnace (they all come with Variable speed motors) also do not use any other furnace with a variable speed motor period.

Before you have someone come out, call around and tell the Pro you ned a twined system. Let them tell what furnace they would use. When he tells you what furnace, just ask if they are two stage type furnace with a variable speed blower. If he tells you they do have VS blowe go to the next guy."
Guess what, the guy he sent over to my house, gave me just the opposite advice, he wants to do 2 stage and variabel speed
Then you wonder why the public gets confused because all the so called experts can;t eve agree and what to do.
I'm going to end this, I'm done, I'll just flag a truck driving down the road and have themn install a furance, probably be the same as anyone else from what I hear from the info I'm getting here.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:48 PM   #13

Ducane/Payne?

I'm sorry if you are indecisive. But you have spent enough time on this to be well educated to make a buying decision.

What is good for your home has been explained to you by us and other forums. Now it is up to you to make up your mind what is best for you from the information you have been given.

I gave you my best shot and so did other pros. You got a referral from this site too.

Now you say the Job is cost six to nine grand for a single furnace.

Unless that quote included a lot of additional work, you are being over charged.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:01 PM   #14

Ducane/Payne?

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbomangt View Post
First off I can;t believe I'm getting ridiculed for being honest, I never got treated like this on any of the other headings here on DYI Chat except for this one. Clover has told me this and I quote him
"Do not use a contractor who would use a two stage furnace (they all come with Variable speed motors) also do not use any other furnace with a variable speed motor period.

Before you have someone come out, call around and tell the Pro you ned a twined system. Let them tell what furnace they would use. When he tells you what furnace, just ask if they are two stage type furnace with a variable speed blower. If he tells you they do have VS blowe go to the next guy."
Guess what, the guy he sent over to my house, gave me just the opposite advice, he wants to do 2 stage and variabel speed
Then you wonder why the public gets confused because all the so called experts can;t eve agree and what to do.
I'm going to end this, I'm done, I'll just flag a truck driving down the road and have themn install a furance, probably be the same as anyone else from what I hear from the info I'm getting here.
And when you told me the guy we found for said to use one furnace I emailed you and told you to ask for a twinned system, but you didn't did you?

Quote from above statement:
Let them tell what furnace they would use. When he tells you what furnace, just ask if they are two stage type furnace with a variable speed blower. If he tells you they do have VS blowe go to the next guy."

I gave you that advice if you had to go thruthe phone book to get a contractor.

If i screw up I will take the heat like a man should. But don't come back at me with false accusations.

Since i can't seem to help you despite all my time I have put into this, I will no longer involve my self .

Good luck.