Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-24-2012, 02:33 PM   #1

Share |

Ducane HP

I have no question this is merely a outlet to vent over the ducane unit I attempted to fix today.

Started last week. Called for no A/C by a tenant of a landlord I do work for on his rentals. The system is a 5 year old 1.5 ton heat pump that I did not install (according to the manufacture Allied Air will be 5 year of tomorrow 7/25). I found the outside unit not running and the inside unit running. Checked the system and found complete loss of refrigerant charge and the low pressure switch holding out the contactor. I leak checked and found the system was leaking where at the reversing valve body. Not at a brazed joint the actual body where the tubing meets the body. I informed the tenant I would need to order parts and contact the landlord.

This is where some frustration began Allied Air makers of ducane said the units warranty ended on 7/25. My response was that was based on manufacture date and not date of install which is the norm. they said it did not matter and in fact the repair had to be done and paper work submitted before 7/25. I said hold on it failed before the 5 years so certainly what difference does when the repair is made make. They would not budge.

This gets worst as the reversing valve arrived today form them with one day left to do the job an file the warranty. I put the reversing valve in taking every possible precaution to do a good job (keep it cool while brazing, and kept it clean, cut it out with tubing cutter, brazed back in the stubs while in the vise on the truck to make good new connection) start weighing my charge back in and the pressure switch closes good. Charge system in liq line until cant hold any more until I start the unit (put 3 of the 8 lbs in). Stop charging to put in disconnect. Fan does not work. Great fan is bad. Think to my self pressure must have got high and ruptured the body (valve body should have held up but we all know how great thing are made these days.

Call distributor tell them I need a fan motor. I am told the don't have an OEM motor. I have to install a OEM motor to qualify for warranty. The work has to be done by tomorrow to qualify for warranty. Great off to my truck were I get the aftermarket motor I have in stock so I can fix the unit.

New motor installed and go figure my new non leaking reversing valve does not leak, but the new one will not switch to cool mode. Great now heat only system good thing it is 90 outside.

We are now 3 hour, 3 lb of R-22 and one fan motor into it. The distributor does not know what to say the manufacture has not called anyone back. I will probably try to sell the landlord a dry unit. I have no idea how I will recover what I am out.

Makes me want sell some more ducane unit, how about you. Anyone want to buy one?
PS ducane is made by the same company that makes Armstrong and I think that company is owned by lennox. I don't want anything to do with either of them again.

turnermech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:23 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Ducane HP

Usually, he parts only need to be ordered/listed as failed within the warrant period to get part warranty. At least here if I tell the distributor it failed on the last day and have to order the part, its still covered under warranty. Becasue it failed in the warranty period.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:29 PM   #3

Ducane HP

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Usually, he parts only need to be ordered/listed as failed within the warrant period to get part warranty. At least here if I tell the distributor it failed on the last day and have to order the part, its still covered under warranty. Becasue it failed in the warranty period.
I would have agreed until now. either the distributor or the manufacture or both are being unreasonable. And they have lost my buisness. seeing how its only parts and the parts themself are not that expensive (there idea of expensive) they cant understand the big deal.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:31 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Ducane HP

Probably your distributor. Call Tech support, and ask them about it. They may nee to inform the distributor how it works.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:33 PM   #5

Ducane HP

That is what I thought untill I got the run around with allied aire. Still waiting for a call back from them. I guess they are waiting untill tomorrow when the warranty expires.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:16 PM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Ducane HP

As long as the failure date is before expiration. Its covered.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:42 PM   #7

Ducane HP

They're feeding you BS. The warranty starts on the installation date. Where you might run into trouble is because it's a rental property. Lennox warranties systems that are not occupied by the owner the same as commercial property,one year parts and 5 year compressor. That's assuming they have the same warranty policy on the ducane,airflow ect. lines as the Lennox lines .
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:16 PM   #8

Ducane HP

Bologna, Manufacturer date who they kidding?

What about all the units throughout the Country sitting in warehouse's for a year or so then sold.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:41 PM   #9

Ducane HP

I agree completly. by there thinking the unit was made shiped and installed on the same day 7-25-07. Don't know but I supect the problem is R E michels is now pushing there owm line Air Temp(not really there own but made by nordyne for them). I supect they will soon drop the ducane and armstrong lines. Allied Aire I would guess does not care about equipment bought through Michels as most of there business will be going to Nordyne. Sad because I liked the Armstrong units. They were not my main brand but I sold quite a few. NOt any more. I doubt I will sell any of the Air Temp either.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:50 AM   #10

Ducane HP

I know if you don't have accounts at the supply houses they will give you nothing but grief even though a warranty is a warranty.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:51 AM   #11

Ducane HP

yes I have account at that suppy supply house as well as many others. Been in buisness for almost 15 years. I spent a pretty good amount of money each month there.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:21 PM   #12

Ducane HP

Them counter guys have to work with you. I know where I go they are the greatest and help in every way even in difficult warranty situations.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:13 PM   #13
An old Tradesmen

Ducane HP

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnermech View Post
yes I have account at that suppy supply house as well as many others. Been in buisness for almost 15 years. I spent a pretty good amount of money each month there.

Are you wiling to name the distributor, or would you prefer not to.

R.E. Michaels for Ducane here.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:38 PM   #14

Ducane HP

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Are you wiling to name the distributor, or would you prefer not to.

R.E. Michaels for Ducane here.
same in maryland. Salesmen said they can fight it with Allied. I sold the customer a new Payne Dry unit. I really did not want to fight this unit anymore. (fixing the junk or getting my money back for parts)

Last edited by turnermech; 07-25-2012 at 06:46 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:58 PM   #15
An old Tradesmen

Ducane HP

Don't have that problem here.