Ducane Furnace Shuts Off After 50 Seconds And Overheats - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-09-2011, 09:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Ducane furnace shuts off after 50 seconds and overheats

I moved into a house that is 10 years old and my home inspector didn't catch this problem, but noticed that the exhaust blower was leaking. When I moved in I called some HVAC people to fix it, which they did, but they told me that it shuts off too quickly. At that time It ran for about 3-4 seconds. They adjusted the fuel intake to the minimum and it ran for about 50 seconds. They told me that its probably duct sizing and never heard from them again.

What I did was remove the return duct and air filter to make sure it wasn't the return duct. I also checked the heat exchangers for dust and didn't see much. I also cleaned off the flame detector by the igniter with wire brush because I read this could be a problem online. None of these have worked or got it to run for any longer. Right now the blower motor is on medium. I would have tried the high setting, but need to get a jumper.

I didn't see a model number but the booklet that came with it says 20298602A

I am attaching some pictures to hopefully show something.

This hot area gets really hot which seems to tell me its overheating.

a picture of the flames

the next pictures are inside the heat exchanger, it looked pretty clean to me.

Advertisement

da_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:49 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 252

When you say 'exhaust blower' do you mean induced draft fan?
Look at this video of proper sequence and report back what step you reach.
Do you get some heat? Not just blower on fan setting?

Check your hoses from induced draft fan and condensing water that drips back down from PVC exhaust piping, that it is not obstructed or clogged. It usually goes to a floor drain or pump. The video is an 80+ efficiency unit, not as good as your unit that needs to drain. Check small hose going to pressure switch (silver disk next to id fan) for clog, proper connection, cracks etc.

Advertisement

diyorpay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 01:18 PM   #3

I get some heat, but its mainly the blower fan that is going. When I said exhust fan I did mean inducer motor. There doesn't seem to be any clogging in the hoses.

It operates all of the sequences.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:28 PM   #4

Well diyorpay was right about a clog and a problem with the inducer motor. Just last week I looked closer at it and noticed a cap missing on the inducer blower housing and found a clog in my condensate trap. Replaced the trap for 24$ and right now just used some foil tape to cover up the hole in the blower housing. I will hook everything up correctly later. Ran my furnace for 5 minutes, I turned it off because it is summer. the items circled in black are what I fixed.

I had hvac companies come in and was told I needed new duct work and a new furnace when the problem cost under 30$ to fix. A good 93% efficient furnace is safe from going to a landfill for a while.

Last edited by da_man; 08-01-2011 at 08:31 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:14 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 252

Nice work!
Make sure you fully test before it gets too cold.
diyorpay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:29 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 266

As a side note, noticed your pics of the heat exchangers were from the discharge end down, if you were to get dirt restriction it would be at the fan end, so you would have to remove the fan and clean that rad from the bottom end, the discharge end should always look clean as the rad at the bottom collects all the dirt on the inlet side, seen it happen lots where no filters were used for a period of time.

Advertisement

HVACDave is online now   Reply With Quote