Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-16-2009, 03:32 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Ducane furnace does not light.

Ducane Furnace Model FP$B100A4B - It is a gas furnace, Horizontal.

The furnace keeps going into gas valve lock out after attempting to light for three times. Each time I can smell gas so I know that it is getting gas. I removed the gas burners and check the electronic ignitor. I can see the spart when trying to light the gas. The small fan in the burners system comes on alright.

The Ducane service personnel replace the gas value, the burner assembly and the ignitor. The furnace still does not light. I can light it alright with a match and it works fine but the electronic ignitor is not able to light it.

I have been servicing furnaces for over 10 years but I have not been able to solve this problem this time. Please advice.

uncleshah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:42 PM   #2

is i the same pilot(not changed)? sandpaper the area where the ignitor spark hits the pilot metal check the pilot metal to ground to make sure it is solid......check the 24Vs at the secondary of your TR in the furnace make sure it is that or higher.it might have to hit into the area where the pilot gas comes up and out.just suggestions

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:59 AM   #3

There is 29.4 V ac at the tranformer in the furnace
Old 01-21-2009, 08:35 PM   #4

is this hot surface or spark ignition?
Dr Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:46 PM   #5

spark i think he mentioned, have you tried cleaning the pilot oriface hows the pilot flame look when you light it by hand lp or nat gas if lp did they convert the valve are you sure the spark is arcing to where its supposed to if its hard to see while its attempting pull the whole pilot assembly out and hook it back up outside of the furnace so you can watch it MAKE SURE GAS VALVE IS TURNED OFF,

Last edited by kennzz05; 01-21-2009 at 10:50 PM.
kennzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennzz05 View Post
spark i think he mentioned, have you tried cleaning the pilot oriface hows the pilot flame look when you light it by hand lp or nat gas if lp did they convert the valve are you sure the spark is arcing to where its supposed to if its hard to see while its attempting pull the whole pilot assembly out and hook it back up outside of the furnace so you can watch it MAKE SURE GAS VALVE IS TURNED OFF,
No he did not, he said electronic if he was a tech this would mean spark but he is not a tech and I cannot tell him how to fix his furnace till I know if it is spark or hot surface.
Dr Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 06:07 PM   #7

It is a spark ignitor
Old 02-08-2009, 06:44 PM   #8

I think you mean the pilot does not light. When the pilot lights and proves then the main burners will come on. Unless this is a direct ignition IE: the spark lights off the main burners. I dont remember any Ducane units that do that though. So the problem is within the pilot and spark area.
1st. Did anyone pull and clean the pilot orfice. Actually clean it with a wire not blow in it.
2nd. If you can hand ligt the pilot and the pilot looks strong then eather the ignitor is probly not positioned correctly or the spark is weak then needing a new modual.

JohnH1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ducane, furnace, gas valve, heater, ignitor