Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-14-2012, 04:52 PM   #1

Share |

Ducane Furnace Control Board Questions

Hello everyone and thank you for taking the time to look at this thread. Let me preface by saying that I made the mistake of trying test my control board without any knowledge of its working. I take full responsibility for my mistake. Now let me get to my problem.

I was using a multimeter to test the voltage on my Ducane furnace control board. I was originally doing it to test the voltage for the power supply to my Aprilaire solenoid. The furnace was running (blower and heat) when I used the multimeter on the wires where the thermostat runs to the board, specifically the red and white wires. I saw a spark, and the blower stopped, and then started again. Me being as dumb as I am, I did it again. It again sparked, but this time the blower stopped. It is no longer blowing or putting out hot air. There is a humming noise at the board which I guess means there's power to it. Any help would be appreciated as I have no heat, and it is very cold out. I have posted pictures of the board below as well as the furnace info. The wires I was testing are the thermostat ones on the left, the red and white.

dmason83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:06 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

How old is your multitester and what condition is it in? Beat up? May have a short in it. If it is shorting even a small amount and you "hijacked" the load while it was running that may aggravate and damage the board. If the meter is questionable don't try it or use it again.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:54 AM   #3

check the 5 amp fuse above the red wire .and get a new meter
mrairflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:22 AM   #4
An old Tradesmen

See if the fuse is blown, if so replace it. And don't use that meter again, as checking the voltage across those 2 terminals shouldn't do anything to the board, fuse or transformer.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:15 AM   #5

I agree.... must have a bad meter....nothing like that should of happened....
carmon is offline   Reply With Quote